Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil pressure gauge drops to zero

Hey Guys,

Does your oil pressure gauge drop to zero when you cut back the throttle to idle to go pick up a downed rider? Mine does and has since I have owned the boat- 2002 sunsetter- 310hp - bought with 20 hours on it from a friend that took good care of it in spring of 2003- now have 650 hours on it- with no real troubles- it just freaks me out every time I watch it drop to zero. It goes right back up when given a little RPM- Asked the dealer to look at it when I brought it in for the 100 hour service- told him the boat had to be fully warmed up to see it - was told it was normal 5-15 psi variance- have not had the boat back to the dealer. I am figuring (hoping) it is more the gauge than actual pressure as the motor runs fine. But have been thinking of getting it looked at again as it seems to be spending longer at zero before going back to normal ( about 30psi) Just curious if other have seen this- Thanks- Tom

I'd replace the oil pressure sending unit and (just because I am OCD) I'd replace the oil pressure switch as well. They are both located next to the oil filter and on a "t" so be careful and don't break the "t".

While your at it, you can add a mechanical oil pressure gauge at the motor and that way you can look at the analog real pressure gauge if ever your in doubt.

If you search around the forum, it has come up MANY MANY times and, as far as I know, it has always been a swith/sending unit issue and NOT true low pressure.

Sounds electrical to me. The signal for the gauges pass through a connector called a cannon plug which is famous for bad electrical connections.

Thanks- I will replace the sending unit and switch and see if that cures it. The low pressure alarm never comes in.

If the alarm doesn't kick in, you don't need to replace the switch - unless the oil pressure really is dropping that low...

I had a similar problem until I replaced my sender last year. Now it reads 30 or so at idle & 60 or so when running all the time.

Good Point, but like I said...I am OCD enough to just replace them BOTH as to decrease the possibility of future problems. They are cheap enough and right there to replace when the sending unit gets replaced. Seems like it is a trend to replace one, and then not long after, replace the other.

I think the sending unit will fix the problem.

Just my $.02/worth,

If the alarm doesn't kick in, you don't need to replace the switch - unless the oil pressure really is dropping that low...

I had a similar problem until I replaced my sender last year. Now it reads 30 or so at idle & 60 or so when running all the time.

Anyone have a part # for both the sending unit & switch? I've been having the same problem and have searched the heck out of the forum, but haven't found part #'s. I just bought a mechanical gauge to test pressure first, cause both my gauge and alarm are acting up.

It is a GM engine, so does autozone, advanced auto, car quest or summitracing.com carry anything that would work?

Thanks,

Jay

SkiDim or Overtons have the sending unit.

SkiDim should have the switch..

I would give skidim a call to verify the switch - they take your boat/motor info will get you the right parts & quickly. It seems a bit pricey for the switch. Overtons has one that's much less. I typically get things is 3 or 4 days with standard shipping.

Don't believe you'll find those at an automotive store, but will at most marine repair places. West marine has them too, but their sender is about $38.