Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge or no Wedge that is the guestion

The Hydro Foiling Plumber

On a 97' Sunsetter with a wedge (no ballast) putting it down while sky skiing seems to play on the ride of the boat. Yesterday while out skiing it seemed that the bow of the boat was rising and falling (similar to a i/o or o/b needing to be trimmed) is this normal or can I contribute this reaction with the wedge due to semi rough water? I have only had the boat since April and have taken it out about 8 times and only put the wedge down two times. At what speed do you really notice a benfit of the wedge? Have not really been able to notice an advantage at this point. One other thing I sky ski around 24 mph (if that makes a difference). Thank's for your help in advance.

I've been told that is the way the old Wedge works at the speeds we ride. Slow down a bit & see if the boat will drive right. But then your foil speed isn't high enough to get a heavier rider up, especially out in the flats. I understand the floating or power Wedge works better at those speeds.

I ride at 26 - 27 mph with the boat weighted, no Wedge. The only reason I got it was for resale. It's sitting in the garage till that day.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
I've been told that is the way the old Wedge works at the speeds we ride. Slow down a bit & see if the boat will drive right. But then your foil speed isn't high enough to get a heavier rider up, especially out in the flats. I understand the floating or power Wedge works better at those speeds.

I ride at 26 - 27 mph with the boat weighted, no Wedge. The only reason I got it was for resale. It's sitting in the garage till that day.

I just bought a B-39 and I am adjusting to the new set up so I am working on the timing, speed and wedge vs. no wedge. I am considering taking it off the boat because in the up position it throws water up the platform and if the older wedge works that way I agree with you (put it in the garage for re-sale purposes) Thanks for the tip!

Add some ballast to the forward ski locker and you'll probably get a 2 or 3 more MPH out of it before you start to get the porpoising effect.