Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speaker Volume and Sox

Blindside_137

I was going to post this in the stereo section, but since i also have a question on speaker sox i thought i should just go ahead and post here.

We have two Wet Sounds Pro 60X's (installed at the dealer) on our VLX and it seems like the tower speakers are significantly quieter than our interior speakers. Is there any way to adjust the volume independently compared with the interior speakers? Or is there any way to increase the tower speaker volume? It'd also be nice if there was a way we could control when we want the tower speakers blasting and how loud. I don't think lack of power is the issue because we have 2 factory rockford fosgate amps but since i know nothing about stereos maybe that is the problem and we need more.

Also, we have the 12" subwoofer, and i thought there was supposed to be a knob/dial to control the intensity of the sub. But I can't find that anywhere.. All I could do was increase the bass through the dash. But I swear i saw a dial for the sub in pictures online somewhere, possibly in the wakeworld 08 VLX gallery?

And lastly, what is everyone's opinion on speaker sox? Our primary concern is keeping the tower speakers nice while stowed away at the boat house. A secondary concern is trailering. Can they be used at highway speeds of 65mph to prevent the speakers from getting coated with bugs? We're making quite a trek near the end of the month and will likely demolish tons of bugs, it'd be nice if they dont permanently embed themselves into the boat...

Thanks for the help!

I am currently getting some Pro 80's put on the tower and took one of the speakers to a local shop

to have some "sox's" made for the same reason as what u describe.

I will be putting them on the speakers when the boat is not in use at the marina. Thus giving them more

life as the elemnts can be nasty to any item left outside. When he made the sox they were made tight and completly cover the speaker front to back.

They are secured using velcro attaching the two open sides together. A very nice job indeed. A right and a left.

As for your volume i would take the boat to your local stereo shop and have them "tweek" the outputs of the individual channels to reach your goals.

cheers

The speaker sox are great at keeping the majority of the bugs off the chrome caps, however the jucier ones seem to spray through occasionally. Great custom fitting product though.

Seeing how you know very little about stereo equipment, I would go back to the dealer and have them give you a hands on instructional class on adjusting the stereo using the head unit, amps and EQ if equiped. This way you can ask all kinds of questions all at once and get it done.

Jim at Speaker Sox will take good care of you. I have seen the covers stay on when trailering at 80 MPH. Whistling.gif

• 1 month later...
We have two Wet Sounds Pro 60X's (installed at the dealer) on our VLX and it seems like the tower speakers are significantly quieter than our interior speakers.

Our '07 VTX was equipped with two RF amps as well - a 4-channel amp running the cabin speakers and a mono amp for the sub. The tower speakers were run off the head unit Cry.gif . When my dealer informed me off this I QUICKLY got another amp and they graciously installed it for me during prep.

Those WetSounds are AWESOME Rockon.gif , but if your set up is the same as mine was, you'll likely never get enough power out of your head unit to hear them over the amplified coabin speakers - let alone when being pulled behind the boat.

speakers soxs all the way tow 70 plus no problem and keeps them nice and clean

you can adjust the amp for the wetsounds to match the interior speakers

on the sub gain you should have got a gain adjuster in your paper work

most of the time it is not installed very easy to do ( depending on brand of amp)

but I would look into the ws-420 or other eq will solve all your problems

can adjust tower volume, boat volume, sub volume

thanks for the help, is my best bet to go ahead and go with a third amp to power the speakers? I really have no idea what you're talking about with adjusting the amp output to the interior speakers and tower speakers and not sure what an eq is or how i would be able to change the tower speaker volume...

thanks for the help, is my best bet to go ahead and go with a third amp to power the speakers? I really have no idea what you're talking about with adjusting the amp output to the interior speakers and tower speakers and not sure what an eq is or how i would be able to change the tower speaker volume...

go to wetsounds.com and look at the ws-420

wetsounds like a lot of power so i would get another amp

if you want just one more amp look at a zapco 1000.4 or two amps cadence 300.2 , or wetsounds new amps ( unsure on name )

the eq ( wetsounds) allows you to set the volume, bass, mid, and treble setting of the tower and boat speakers independently

also has a mic

adjusting the amp

look in the compartment under the glove box

should have two amps on the back wall

look for the word gain on the amps increase it speakers get loader ( watch out for distortion , if it distorts turn it down alittle)

I'm running 2 pairs of 60x wetsounds and running them at 200 spec for 150

they like clean power

Seeing how you know very little about stereo equipment, I would go back to the dealer and have them give you a hands on instructional class on adjusting the stereo using the head unit, amps and EQ if equiped. This way you can ask all kinds of questions all at once and get it done.

Jim at Speaker Sox will take good care of you. I have seen the covers stay on when trailering at 80 MPH. Whistling.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gif

Speakersox are awesome! I haven't ahd to try and clean the chrome on the speakers since we got them. They actually look good enough to leave on all the time. Rockon.gif

ok, that wetsounds EQ sounds like it's exactly what we need.

And I now understand what to do to adjust the amps. However, a previous post said it's likely that neither of our two amps is powering the tower speakers so would increasing the gain on either of the amps affect the loudness of the speakers?

Since we'll likely be getting another amp, is it ok to go with another RF amp since we have the two already as RF? Or would we be needing more power than what the RF can put out?

I emailed the dealer asking for some help on the stereo system, but since our boat is kept at a lake house three hours away from them, i'm not sure if they'd be willing to come out to show us everything about it.

But the next time I'm at the lake, I'll try to mess with the gains on the amps a little and see what happens. And I'm guessing the stereo needs to be on when doing that?

Edited by Blindside_137