Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Balancing Trailer Tires

Hey all,

I am getting ready to replace my trailer tires (GY marathons) on my 01' SMP Tandem axle with more of the same. They have never been balanced. Maybe they need to be? I've read a couple web sites with differing thoughts on balancing trailer tires, and was wanting to get some 'Bu Crew input. So, do you balance or don't you?

Thanks,

VLXDave

(FWIW, I did a site search to see if I could come up with any conclusive opinion, but didn't find anything.)

I have and would, why wouldn't you? I don't see any benefit to not balancing them.

Sometimes I get up to 70 MPH towing.

I just replaced the 2 tires on my Sunsetter, cost to mount and balance was $31 total. It is a no brainer at that price.

-Chris

I just replaced the 2 tires on my Sunsetter, cost to mount and balance was $31 total. It is a no brainer at that price.

-Chris

wow thats expensive for my area, we pay 7.50 per tire mount and balance. I dont know if it is true or not but seems like it would prolong bearing life.

I'm with Pete, balancing will help tire ware, anti cupping, bearing life and so much more. Now on large trucks or trailers then I wouldn't. They are a PITA to do.

I happen to have to replace the caliphers on my trailer 2 weeks ago and I noticed that one of my wheels had an awful lot of weight on the inside. I'm sure glad it's balanced as best as possible.

Maybe the OP is asking because he thinks he'll end up with weights visible on the outside of the rim? I'd just balance the wheels so that they only install weights on the inside of the rim. It can be done.