Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX Prop

I have a 2008 VLX with the Monsoon engine, running with the stock prop. I usually run fully loaded (all 4 tanks filled) with 6-8 people and looking for a prop with better hole shot. What is everyone else using, either Acme or OJ, and what do you recommend?

I was having the same issue in my LSV with a Monsoon. I just changed to an ACME 1235 and it is much, much better. You will lose some top end, but I hardly ever go above about 30 mph anyway. Great hole shot now with the 1235.

+1 on the 1235. I was also running the OJ 475 and they are effectively the same specs except for the cup size. I was never really able to get a straight answer on what cup size affects (ok, let the jokes fly!). I've heard it is similar to tire size in that it helps 'traction', but...

I lost ~5MPH on the top end wide open w/ an empty boat. At the same time tho, the first time my wife drove, I thought I dislocated both shoulders the boat jumped up on plane so fast. Either way, I'd say if you are interested, drop a donation to the Crew and get in on a group buy. The subscription will more than pay for itself.

+1 on the 1235. I was also running the OJ 475 and they are effectively the same specs except for the cup size. I was never really able to get a straight answer on what cup size affects (ok, let the jokes fly!). I've heard it is similar to tire size in that it helps 'traction', but...

I lost ~5MPH on the top end wide open w/ an empty boat. At the same time tho, the first time my wife drove, I thought I dislocated both shoulders the boat jumped up on plane so fast. Either way, I'd say if you are interested, drop a donation to the Crew and get in on a group buy. The subscription will more than pay for itself.

Group buy is over for this yr. Cry.gif

Talley what kind of RPMS did you have at WOT with the 1235 and 475? I have seen the `1235 hit the rev limiter on some boats like the VLX with the monsoon or larger. If your running the LSV with the monsoon then you should not have a problem with the 1235.

We have the oj475 and never hit the rev limiter. The holeshot is great and i never run WOT anyway so i didnt lose anything there. MY buddy has the vlx and just installed a acme 1235 this weekend. He says it was a nice change for low end power but did not mention anything about hitting the rev or not.

I have a Sunscape 21 lsv and just changed to the Acme 1235 and have just been out to put the boat on the hoist. Wanted to have better hole shot and maintain wakeboard speed better with the wedge deployed.I have not actually hit the rev limiter at WOT but that is simply because I knew that might be a possibility so kept an eye on it. I am at 5200 with some throttle yet to go so I suspect that at WOT it would be a problem. Not sure what I am going to do yet, may reprop or may not and just be careful for a while.

Anyone else with a Sunscape 21 lsv that has found the "right" prop?

Both ACME and OJ have many of props to choose from that it is hard not to find a prop unless your wanting to have hole shot and great top end. Can not have the best of both worlds unless you have a 2 speed trans. LOL

Acme 1235 here also. These are known as a "High Altitude" prop here in Alberta and is what comes on the VLX from our local dealer. We are around 3500' elevation and these props provide lots of grunt out of the hole, almost too much throttle response with the electronic shifting. I haven't been running her wide open yet, but am seeing around 40 MPH at around 5000 RPM.

1235 on our '06 VLX and it's been great. We never go all out except for out of the hole so haven't had any issues with the limiter.