Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Model line-up...

1FootDan

And I don't believe that going form $2.50 gas to $4.00 gas has that much effect on the economy. It is so media driven and that is what is scaring people away. I can't turn on the TV without hearing the doom and gloom and yet our economy is still growing, unemployment is still low, and worker productivity is up.

No offense, but I think you are a bit naive to think the $4 gas doesn't have much effect on the economy. Is it doom and gloom reported by the press? Maybe. But perception is reality. And when that perception is held by would be consumers, that is bad news for luxury items like boats. Remember - this site tends to be made up of a relatively affluent population that may not be as impacted by the economic conditions as others. Doesn't mean the economy isn't hurting.

Also for alot of people having a boat means having a nice big truck that can tow the boat, and it is a one two punch in fuel cost.

-Chris

I'll give you the double up effect on the truck too. I just see the high end wake/ski boat industry as thriving. Our dealers here in NWA turn boats like its going out of style. Maybe I'm too young an niave but I think the economy is ok, thats all I was trying to get at. I'm only 26 so the last recession I was in college (tech bubble), and the one before that I guess I really didn't care. I have a stay at home wife with with a daughter, two paid off cars, 1/2 a paid off boat, and half a paid off house. $4 gas shouldn't effect me to much because I can afford my toys. The single mom who $4 gas is effecting isn't going to be buying a new boat or truck anyways. Hope I didn't come off as bragging there just trying to explain why I think the high end ski/wake boat industry is going to be fine. I'm the target customer, not the person struggling right now. That '09 VLX looks pretty good from what I've seen, anyone have any idea on the sticker?

It does come across as a bit arrogant, but you also live in Arkansas.. I 'm sure the cost of living is 1/2 of California in regard to home prices and even gasoline taxes. I just filled up my truck and the diesel was 5.29 a gallon. I'm sure tat is a bit higher than in other areas of the country.

I mean no offense, but just to put things in perspective.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• UWSkier

• SunriseH2OSkier

• chrisallenhogs

It does come across as a bit arrogant, but you also live in Arkansas.. I 'm sure the cost of living is 1/2 of California in regard to home prices and even gasoline taxes. I just filled up my truck and the diesel was 5.29 a gallon. I'm sure tat is a bit higher than in other areas of the country.

Yes we covered this off, my home price I'm sure is 1/3 to 1/4 of what some of the rest of the Country Pays. But my argument back would be to move. If my hand is on fire because I put it on the stove, i'm going to pull it off. If my mortgage payment is 400% more b/c of where I live, I might think about moving.

this whole photo issue seems really silly to me. look at the automotive industry, "spy photos" are everywhere. it's just part of the game. malibu leaked these photos one way or another. that's their problem and it should not be the responsibility of this website or any other to cover up for malibu's mistakes. it's not like these are proprietary cad files or anything that would really be detrimental to malibu's future. these are simple photos of a boat that will be public in a matter of weeks. going back to the automotive industry, spy photos are out sometimes a full year before a car's release. malibu's photos came out a couple weeks early... they really need to suck it up and quit whining about it. next year they'll know to be more careful with whom they share photos.

One key difference in this case - most of the spy photos you see in magazines are of a heavily camouflaged vehicle, and exist because we have to take the vehicles out into the public in order to test. These photos are from inside their doors, no camo. If photos like that leak out from GM, someone gets fired. And it doesn't really matter how close it might be to the public unveiling - the organization generally has some big buildup planned, and leaks sort of 'let the air out of the balloon' (pun intended). In fact, auto manufacturers frequently show new vehicles to the magazines several months in advance of the unveiling - and impose a moratorium on releasing the photos until a certain date. If a magazine decides to release early, guess who doesn't get invited to future releases , thereby cutting their own throat?

That said, there is something to be said for the buzz you get when these kind of photos get out there. But it should be the choice of the manufacturer to do so, not someone who is operating in rogue fashion.

Every point you've made is very valid and I agree with pretty much everything you've said. however, my point is more concerning the fact that these were in fact leaked, and how they are handling it. it's obvious that they did not want these to be viewed by the public but they got leaked. like you said, "If photos like that leak out from GM, someone gets fired." malibu needs to be concerned with fixing their leak. they cannot try to "police" the press once something's out there. they need to concentrate on what they can control which is who has access to the photos in the first place. going around and asking others to cover up for their mistake/problem isn't the right way to do things.

Fixing the leak could mean cancelling factory tours, or at least not letting people take photos, which I'm surprised that they do. I toured the CC plat in 2000 and they wouldn't let me bring a camera.

Those pictures came from the R&D department, if you're a layman, they won't let you anywhere near sensitive products on a factory tour.

Anyone have an idea on the sticker of a fully loaded '09 VLX will be? Is the 10% price increase msrp or also cost?

Every point you've made is very valid and I agree with pretty much everything you've said. however, my point is more concerning the fact that these were in fact leaked, and how they are handling it. it's obvious that they did not want these to be viewed by the public but they got leaked. like you said, "If photos like that leak out from GM, someone gets fired." malibu needs to be concerned with fixing their leak. they cannot try to "police" the press once something's out there. they need to concentrate on what they can control which is who has access to the photos in the first place. going around and asking others to cover up for their mistake/problem isn't the right way to do things.

Your point is well taken, but I think that TMC has a different relationship to Malibu than "just the press" so I am guessing that in order to respect their wishes, the pics were pulled. Sure, you still can probably find them somewhere else on the net. When a friend of yours asks you for a favor, you generally do it without much thought if its not a too big a deal, because that keeps a good relationship. Being product advocates, and providing constructive criticism, and asking for help instead of ranting has built what appears to be a good working relationship with Malibu, dealers and suppliers and has provided alot of dealer and factory and supplier direct information to TMC.

Your point is well taken, but I think that TMC has a different relationship to Malibu than "just the press" so I am guessing that in order to respect their wishes, the pics were pulled. Sure, you still can probably find them somewhere else on the net. When a friend of yours asks you for a favor, you generally do it without much thought if its not a too big a deal, because that keeps a good relationship. Being product advocates, and providing constructive criticism, and asking for help instead of ranting has built what appears to be a good working relationship with Malibu, dealers and suppliers and has provided alot of dealer and factory and supplier direct information to TMC.

Very well put. malibu has helped every one on this board at some time or another the least we can do is hold the pictures for a few weeks. Its not the end of the world.

Yes we covered this off, my home price I'm sure is 1/3 to 1/4 of what some of the rest of the Country Pays. But my argument back would be to move. If my hand is on fire because I put it on the stove, i'm going to pull it off. If my mortgage payment is 400% more b/c of where I live, I might think about moving.

That's not such and easy concept either, the salary for my job is easily a 1/3 less and my retirement is based upon gross earnings. Secondly with kids being near family, that includes Crewmembers, it's just not so simple. To complicate things even further is divorces and partial custody of kids etc. The weather is very appealing here and is hard to beat, the fact we can ski both mt's is an added benefit.

It's still the '08 site, both through the domain name and the IP address and. I'm guessing Jack was messing with us.

Here's a little detail on the '09 VLX on WakeORIGIN.com.

Now those pics are removed. Figures, once again a TheMalibuCrew has to look at other sites to see pics of the new stuff.

I remember when Malibu was sold and how I had to go search other sites just to find out what was going on Mad.gif

To me it looks like Malibu likes all the great feedback we give them and to control things but is will to give The CREW nothing. Would it be to much to ask or allow us (TheMalibuCrew) to post up new things the same day or just hours before the factory posts it up. Dontknow.gif

That's not such and easy concept either, the salary for my job is easily a 1/3 less and my retirement is based upon gross earnings. Secondly with kids being near family, that includes Crewmembers, it's just not so simple. To complicate things even further is divorces and partial custody of kids etc. The weather is very appealing here and is hard to beat, the fact we can ski both mt's is an added benefit.

We like when you california guys move in. We have a lot of property and sell it when people move here from California. They think they are getting a deal and we sell it for 5 times what we bought it for 10 years ago. NW Arkansas is the fastest growing economy (not area) in the nation. We have the home of Wal-Mart and Tyson as well as several top 10 trucking companies. I know what you mean about family, there are somethings you don't take a trade for, but most people who move here end up loving it and you'll find that your quality of life goes way up.

Fair enough. I totally understand helping out a "friend". But referring to it as "corporate espionage" just seemed a little overdramatic.

Fixing the leak could mean cancelling factory tours, or at least not letting people take photos, which I'm surprised that they do. I toured the CC plat in 2000 and they wouldn't let me bring a camera.

That was because they were afraid you were documenting illegal immigrants.....

Looking at your avatar, I can see there point :)

We like when you california guys move in. We have a lot of property and sell it when people move here from California. They think they are getting a deal and we sell it for 5 times what we bought it for 10 years ago. NW Arkansas is the fastest growing economy (not area) in the nation. We have the home of Wal-Mart and Tyson as well as several top 10 trucking companies. I know what you mean about family, there are somethings you don't take a trade for, but most people who move here end up loving it and you'll find that your quality of life goes way up.

Hijack on:

You call that a benefit??? Maybe in middle America, but when you get to the coasts Wally-Mart has a considerable taboo in abusing suppliers, etc... We as a family will not shop there.

Hijack off.

Pat

Now those pics are removed. Figures, once again a TheMalibuCrew has to look at other sites to see pics of the new stuff.

I remember when Malibu was sold and how I had to go search other sites just to find out what was going on Mad.gif

To me it looks like Malibu likes all the great feedback we give them and to control things but is will to give The CREW nothing. Would it be to much to ask or allow us (TheMalibuCrew) to post up new things the same day or just hours before the factory posts it up. Dontknow.gif

Plus1.gif

you know, I think it would be a great idea for malibu to have a representative that could come and post here to directly address issues such as this. going back to blackpearl's earlier post about "friendship", it's a two way street...

That was because they were afraid you were documenting illegal immigrants.....

Looking at your avatar, I can see there point :)

LOL I never thought of that.

Hijack on:

You call that a benefit??? Maybe in middle America, but when you get to the coasts Wally-Mart has a considerable taboo in abusing suppliers, etc... We as a family will not shop there.

Hijack off.

Pat

I work for a large wal-mart supplier and I can tell you out of all of our accounts they are the easiest to work with.

you know, I think it would be a great idea for malibu to have a representative that could come and post here to directly address issues such as this. going back to blackpearl's earlier post about "friendship", it's a two way street...

There are at least a few Malibu employees that frequent this site and have posted very useful information in the past, so they're here, you just have to look for em.

Those pictures came from the R&D department, if you're a layman, they won't let you anywhere near sensitive products on a factory tour.

That wasn't true in '06. I saw Justin's boat before it was public. Direct drive version of the 247 also. I have pics of both that I never posted since Jorge at Malibu knew we were buCrewers taking the tour that day.

This isn't the first time new model pictures have been removed from this website at Malibu's request. I posted pictures a couple years ago of the new VLX that I took after a tour at the Merced factory. The ironic part was that the boats were sitting in the parking lot in front of the factory, viewable by anyone driving by.

Guest J-Ro

UW-

We actually saw the 09 VLX a few weeks ago. Out of respect I didn't take nor post any pics. What's funny is as soon as I saw it I knew it was the VLX even though it was nothing more than a shoebox at that point.

I usually see Malibu playing with their new stuff at Don Pedro, but I haven't been out much this spring, Damn wind !

From a dealer stand point, we don't even know the 09 line up or have any details/pictures. I didn't see the new VLX until i saw it up on the crew site.

I understand both sides, i'm sure Malibu want's to have a official press release so everybody gets correct information and photos and i'm sure everybody wants a sneak peak to see the latest and greatest. I've always thought Malibu should post a little sneak peek so a big leak like what happened doesn't happen so everybody stays happy. I don't think it was neccessary but it was very respectful/curtious that TMC/Tracie pulled the pictures off.

Can't wait to see the new VLX!