Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Fins

Sandbagger

I am just getting into wakebaording, probably been on the board 15-20 times. I have done some research and watched instructional videos and have a pretty good idea of where I want to be and how to get there. I am riding an 07 CWP Pure, it came with larger fins. While I could do surface 180's, I was really struggling and was prone to face plants. From what I have read I need to be good at surface 180's and riding the board both goofy and regular and this is what I am working on.

This weekend I decided to remove the fins as I have read that that would make me a better rider by making me learn to ride my edges. It was a great move for me as now I have progressed on my surface 180's, rarely fall. I am also working on a butterslide and that is much easier as I am not catching the fins. My rough landings are more forgiving and I am sliding out, regaining control rather than faceplanting.

I am able to ride rougher water without fins pretty well. Also, I seem to be getting better air, probably because I am doing a progressive edge better while before I was relying on the fins.

Overall I think it is a good move and just wanted to open this up for discussion of whether or not I am on the right track, maybe benefit someone else who is in the same stage of wakeboarding as well.

Hopefully the seasoned boarders can shed some light and help steer me and others in the right direction.

Your right about teaching you to use your edge. I went from a cwb flame to a ronix ibex this weekend and even with the fins on the ibex it was a big change. At first i was unable to get the pop i was use to, i kept sliding out at the wake. After 3 sessions of getting use to HAVING to use my edge all the way up the wake i was getting some nice air. It's amazing how you can find time to do your grabs and such when you have enough air to do it.

you are absolutely right, take those fins off if you can. Some boards are too slippery without for a beginner but if you can do it I would. People end up using fins to correct bad form, it'll hurt you in the long run. The only time I wish I had more fins is when the water is choppy and keeping on edge can be harder, but keep them off if you can!

• 1 month later...
Finless can be more forgiving...if you want some edging practice borrow a roam.

yeah. try the roam..

i only ride the roam since iam an avid snowboarder.. i cant ever go back to a normal board.