Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dropoff and Speedo controls

I just bought a 2002 Sunscape 21' LSV. I was able to get it on the water for the first time yesterday and cannot figure out what the speedo and dropoff toggle buttons do. Any help?

Dropoff?

Well either way your boat has pitot tube speed pickups. There are 2 because they tend to get clogged. The speedo button (with the arrows facing up and down) calibrates the speedo manually, You will need a reference or a GPS to do this correctly. The other button (i think it says pickoff or something but either way) has arrows facing right and left, that allows you to select the reading from the left pitot tube, right pitot tube, or to average the readings from both.

-Chris

Dropoff?

Well either way your boat has pitot tube speed pickups. There are 2 because they tend to get clogged. The speedo button (with the arrows facing up and down) calibrates the speedo manually, You will need a reference or a GPS to do this correctly. The other button (i think it says pickoff or something but either way) has arrows facing right and left, that allows you to select the reading from the left pitot tube, right pitot tube, or to average the readings from both.

-Chris

Thanks for the help. So am I changing the speedometer reading when I toggle the speedo button up and down?

Welcome to the site!

I'm guessing you mean pickup when you said drop off. Like Chris said, your boat has two pressure sensitive pickups on the back of the boat that feed the speedometer on the dash. You can use that switch to select one pickup, or average them (by leaving it in the middle setting). Pressing the adjust button will change the speed reading (and so it should be calibrated using an hand held GPS).

Dropoff?

-Chris

Thanks for the help. So am I changing the speedometer reading when I toggle the speedo button up and down?

Probably, you can make the boat really fast if you push up enough....

Welcome to the site!

I'm guessing you mean pickup when you said drop off. Like Chris said, your boat has two pressure sensitive pickups on the back of the boat that feed the speedometer on the dash. You can use that switch to select one pickup, or average them (by leaving it in the middle setting). Pressing the adjust button will change the speed reading (and so it should be calibrated using an hand held GPS).

Beyond Help -

Thanks for the assistance and the welcome! This looks like a fantastic site to help my family get familiar with our dream boat. Now I just need to get one of my friends with a GPS to come on our next trip to the lake so I can fix what I'm sure I messed up when I kept pressing the speedo button . . . oops!