Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OEM parts and accessories needed WHERE TO BUY

ALWAYSPDG

Hey guys, I just bought my first 2001 VLX 23' this last February and I have now put it in the water finally. Can any of you recommend where to purchase OEM parts for this Malibu boat? Another question too, do you know if the stock bilge pump is hard wired directly to the battery? The previous owner installed a four position battery selector switch, off, battery #1, battery #2, or auto (both batteries #1 & #2). The boat is now in a slip in the water 24 hours a day and I just wanta make sure the boat doesn't sink while I am away from it. I turned the battery switch to the off position when I left today so the batteries would not be drained down while sitting in the slip. Oh, by the way, it has a two battery system on board, installed from the previous owner. Does Malibu set up its factory wiring so that the bilge pump is directly wired to the battery? That way, even if the battery position switch is in the off position, the bilge pump will still operate.

I am also looking for a boat cover (while the boat is in the slip) it came with a new cover but it appears to me it is for when the boat is on the Extreme trailer and some OEM parts too, such as a air filter/ spark arrestor wing nut, rear deck/engine lid shock mounts (keeps the lid in the upright position. I might also want a better steering wheel (aftermarket type). The Malibu dealer is 2 hours away, so I am looking for a mail order outfit if at all possible. I would like to also get a Malibu factory shop manual for the boat too.

Thanks in advance for all the help with my questions, Mike Thumbup.gif

I second skidim for your parts, although that wing nut may just need a trip to the hardware store.

As for the bilge pump, it is probably in the back of the boat. I would test it (there is a test knob on the pump) when the boat is in the off position. Factory wiring keeps power to the bilge pump at all times.

If you have the stock grey malibu cover with the trailer straps don't tow with it and you can use it in the water, leave the straps on or just take them off.

Cylmer makes an Indmar shop manual, you can buy it off Amazon.

-Chris

SkiDim is great for aftermarket parts. And the guys there really know their inboards. But they don't sell a lot of OEM equipment.

Not sure I'd even want an OEM cover either. Rankin's & Evolution's are far better.

I go to Napa for most of the engine stuff..... especially oil changes, fuel filters, etc.

About the only place you can get the OEM stuff is the dealer.

Thanks guys for all the info, you have steered me in the right direction. I spoke to Cory at Evolution and he was very helpful. I also spoke to Mike at the Canvas Shoppe. So far, the Evolution cover appears to offer the best in quality and service! (and they are expensive too!). I also spoke to Westland Boat Covers and it is more of a universal type boat cover probably not what I want to do.

Again, thanks for all the help! Clap.gif

Mike

I would test the bilge pump when your switch is in the off position. My bilge pump doesn't work when in OFF setting and its a 06 vlx. I just leave on battery 1 and if it drains too much then switch to all or battery 2 to start boat. Install a isolator to always have the backup battery fully charged.

Where exactly would I find the bilge pump. I know it is in the back obviously, but is it around the engine compartment or to the side somewhere? I would really like to get a manual for the boat.

Thanks,

mike

Everything is in the engine compartment. Outside the stringers is a sealed void that is filled with flotation foam.

Just follow the hose that runs from the thru-hull fitting down into the bilge to find the pump. It's a white rectangle about the size of a brick of gold that is secured to the bilge of the boat.

Everything is in the engine compartment. Outside the stringers is a sealed void that is filled with flotation foam.

Just follow the hose that runs from the thru-hull fitting down into the bilge to find the pump. It's a white rectangle about the size of a brick of gold that is secured to the bilge of the boat.

Wish I had a few bricks of gold stashed away for bilge pump size reference....

Will do. I just hope the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery because if the previous owner wired it through the battery selector switch, we could have a problem. The boat is in a slip for the summer and I placed the battery selector switch in the off position so that it would not be drained down by any other equipment on board. I am not currently near the boat, I am about 3 hours away, so the bilge pump needs to be working on its own.

Mike :Doh:

Wish I had a few bricks of gold stashed away for bilge pump size reference....

I couldn't think of anything else that was similar in size. The other only other option I came up with was a loaf of banana bread, but I figured that would be opening myself up to endless ridicule. :)

I just hope the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery...

You can test the pump by rotating the float switch on the outside of the casing to see if it powers on when the bilge battery switch is set to off.

Will do. I am just trying to find out how the boat was wired since I am 3 hours away from it and it is in the water as we speak.

Mike