Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder removal

I have a 1999 Sunsetter and I have to replace the strut bushing. So to do that I have to pull the driveshaft, and to pull the driveshaft I have to remove the rudder. What a PITA! I took out the bolt on the top of the rudder but it still won't come out. Is there something I am missing??? Do I need to remove the gas tank??? Thanks for the help.

You simply have to reach I'm afraid. After you remove the arm (the silver colored piece with the bolt) the keyway should be there and is probably stuck.

The rudder is simply a shaft from inside the boat.

FYI you're gonna have to jack up the back of the boat to pull the rudder.

-Chris

I loosened the pinch bolt but the arm is not coming off. It all seems to be stuck together. Any Ideas?

pry bar, brute force, a GET-R-DONE attitude, etc.

As long is the bolt is out it should come off, but it's been on there for 9 years, it may take a little encouragement to get it off.

I would soak the shaft overnight with WD-40 or some kind of lubricant before I started prying or hammering on anything.

I would soak the shaft overnight with WD-40 or some kind of lubricant before I started prying or hammering on anything.

PB Blaster works better than WD 40. I learned that last month trying to get a seized pully off.

• 2 weeks later...

My son removed mine (or half of it) while destroying my prop. Any ideas for best price and availability on replacement?

PB Blaster - great stuff for stuck parts!

I have a 1999 Sunsetter and I have to replace the strut bushing. So to do that I have to pull the driveshaft, and to pull the driveshaft I have to remove the rudder. What a PITA! I took out the bolt on the top of the rudder but it still won't come out. Is there something I am missing??? Do I need to remove the gas tank??? Thanks for the help.

Would it be easier to remove the prop, then remove the strut from the bottom of the boat and slide it off without having to remove the rudder?

AF1

If you had a Sanger, you wouldn't have to remove the rudder since it is offset with the prop shaft... Whistling.gif

If you had a Sanger, you wouldn't have to remove the rudder since it is offset with the prop shaft... Whistling.gif

If he had a Sanger, he wouldn't have an amazingly helpful site like this to learn all about his boat. Tomato.gif

If he had a Sanger, he wouldn't have an amazingly helpful site like this to learn all about his boat. Tomato.gif

...I guess... :blush: