Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking at the packing

Hey there. anyone out there ever have the packing leak just before the drive shaft goes through the hull? Leaking from the large bolt? I seem to have a fairly steady drip coming off mine. I am not sure how serious this is and if I should be doing something about this.

Any advise would be great. Thanks......Rob

BTW - my boat os now off warranty.

There should be a big nut and a small one. Loosen the small one then adjust the big one by tightening it. You will have to do this when the boat is in the water. Once done tighten the smaller one back up so the adjustment will hold. You are supposed to have 2 drips or so a minute.

What he said...but Cstello I think it is a bit more than 2/min. (end edit)

Sort of a PITA to adjust, but is normal to drip. Unless a late model with dripless packing. IIRC, it should be 6-10 drops per min. FWIW, when I started the season last year it dripped ALOT but didn't really worry about it much. Out of sight, out of mind. It uses the water to lubricate. As the season went on, it got less and less, I guess it slowly rehydrated? :dunno: But then had the shop guys adjust it for me when it was in for a tranny temp sensor.

Wouldn't worry too much about it and if your season just started, I bet it decreases a bit over time. About 1 drip every 5-6 seconds is normal.

Hey there. anyone out there ever have the packing leak just before the drive shaft goes through the hull? Leaking from the large bolt? I seem to have a fairly steady drip coming off mine. I am not sure how serious this is and if I should be doing something about this.

Any advise would be great. Thanks......Rob

BTW - my boat os now off warranty.

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV