Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Power Problem

Been having problems with my 2006 VLX (Monsoon engine). After about two hours of operation, cruising, wakeboarding, surfing the boats starts to bog down and lose power, almost like it's starving for gas or air. No waring signs on the computer and the temp it normal but if we turn off the boat and re-start it, it will run fine for a couple of minutes and then bog down again. The strange thing is this will only happen between 1 to 2 hours of operation and it doesn't seem to go into limp mode. We took it to the dealer and they put it on the computer and found no problems. We checked the inline fuel filter and it was okay, filled it up with premium gas, tried some water remover, injector cleaner and it still gave us problems. We changed the spark plugs yesterday and checked all of the gas vent lines, it ran like a top for about two hours and started doing the same thing. I'm open too any suggestions at this point, I think the next thing we will do is change the wires but I really think it a senor? Is there only the one inline fuel filter and does this boat have a water separator??? Thanks and I'm looking forward too your responses.

I own this boat with Blaza, it's a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon, 240 hrs. We have put about 25 hours on it this spring, fully weighted, lots of surfing with no problems until last week.

Originally thought it may have been bad gas, but we have filled with premium twice and injector cleaner now and still the same issues!!! It seems that the lower the tank gets the quicker the problem happens. Very strange to have it run perfectly for a few hours then crap out on us like this?

The dealership found no problems like blaza said, really worried that we will be dealing with this all summer. We are taking the boat back to the dealer tom and they are going to run it in the lake with the computer, crossing fingers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this boat is our life during the summer and this is making me lose sleep.........thanks.

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the same problem with a 2003 VLX w/260 hrs. Just started last weekend. Haven't had time to thoroughly investigate, but would love to hear any ideas. Hoping to get it in the water next wk and figure it out.

Mark

Here's a possibility.

I have a friend that has the same problem on his VLX. When he weights the boat for surfing, the fuel vent line opening occasionally gets underwater and allows water into the fuel tank. With the gas sloshing around we figured it would only suck up some of the water as it sloshed past the fuel pick up in the bottom of the tank. We have discussed moving the vent pick up to the starboard side since we surf regular. Your "water remover" could be working when you have the boat out of the water for a while. When you put the boat back in the lake it collects water again after a couple of hours and starts the cycle all over again.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a possibility.

I have a friend that has the same problem on his VLX. When he weights the boat for surfing, the fuel vent line opening occasionally gets underwater and allows water into the fuel tank. With the gas sloshing around we figured it would only suck up some of the water as it sloshed past the fuel pick up in the bottom of the tank. We have discussed moving the vent pick up to the starboard side since we surf regular. Your "water remover" could be working when you have the boat out of the water for a while. When you put the boat back in the lake it collects water again after a couple of hours and starts the cycle all over again.

Problem solved. I replaced the fuel filter, replaced the alternator belt (it wasn't in terrible condition, but it was loose), and tightened up the connections to the alternator. One of those things fixed it and the boat ran great. Replaced the impeller while I was at it, but I don't think that was the problem.

I own this boat with Blaza, it's a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon, 240 hrs. We have put about 25 hours on it this spring, fully weighted, lots of surfing with no problems until last week.

Originally thought it may have been bad gas, but we have filled with premium twice and injector cleaner now and still the same issues!!! It seems that the lower the tank gets the quicker the problem happens. Very strange to have it run perfectly for a few hours then crap out on us like this?

The dealership found no problems like blaza said, really worried that we will be dealing with this all summer. We are taking the boat back to the dealer tom and they are going to run it in the lake with the computer, crossing fingers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this boat is our life during the summer and this is making me lose sleep.........thanks.

Ryan

Rockon.gif raised hand. I know I know!!! Inlet fuel line has a crack in it. When the tank is full, the fuel is above the crack in the line. After a few hours the fuel is lower then the crack and sucking air.

Try taking 5-10 gal with you the next time you ride and when it starts acting up just add more fuel if it starts to run great then you know you have a cracked fuel line.

You may also want to see if you have a 2nd fuel filther IE one inline and one screw on.

• 3 weeks later...