Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

30 Minute steering cable change

The steering on my 99 Response was getting tight. We disconnected the cable at the rudder and under the dash to make sure the rudder and steering wheel were not the problem. It takes a couple of 9/16", 1/2", 7/16" wrenches and or sockets, a philips head screw driver, a medium size adjustable wrench, duct tape and a hack saw.

We cut the end of the cable under the dash board off with the hack saw, you can't repair the cable any way. Duct-taped the rubber end of the new cable to the freshly cut end of the old cable under the dash, with about 12" of over lap. We pulled the old cable out from the back, pulling the new cable in at the same time. Cut off the duct tape. Screwed everything back together. Done in 30 minutes.

You can steer the boat with one finger again.

The steering on my 99 Response was getting tight. We disconnected the cable at the rudder and under the dash to make sure the rudder and steering wheel were not the problem. It takes a couple of 9/16", 1/2", 7/16" wrenches and or sockets, a philips head screw driver, a medium size adjustable wrench, duct tape and a hack saw.

We cut the end of the cable under the dash board off with the hack saw, you can't repair the cable any way. Duct-taped the rubber end of the new cable to the freshly cut end of the old cable under the dash, with about 12" of over lap. We pulled the old cable out from the back, pulling the new cable in at the same time. Cut off the duct tape. Screwed everything back together. Done in 30 minutes.

You can steer the boat with one finger again.

Took me about 6 hours Ranting.gif

2.5hrs on our 02 RLX. Biggest problem was the hole in floor being so full of wiring and heater hoses that getting the rudder end nut through was impossible. After many attempts ended up cutting it off. If the hole was 50% bigger from factory would make it an easy 30min job.

Edited by uk_exile
  • 2 years later...

How do you disconnect the steering cable from the rudder side? Do I unscrew the large nut or remove the bolt and nut from where it connects to the rudder? I tried to unscrew the large nut but that just turns the rod its connected to. Tried lock-pliers and robo-grip to hold the rod but I can't get the nut to loosen (that sounds inappropriate doesnt it?). I have a 98 Sunsetter VLX...Thanks

Edited by PStew67

I'm having trouble removing the large nut to disconnect the steering cable from the support tube. How do I keep the support tube from moving? Thanks

Edited by PStew67

I'm having trouble removing the large nut to disconnect the steering cable from the support tube. How do I keep the support tube from moving? Thanks

From the support tube? Can you post a pic? It should be as easy as loosening the nut with a wrench.

I did finally get that nut to turn with some pb blaster and vice grips, although it took about ten minutes to disconnect it with the crescent wrench I was using. Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

My problem was I took to many Beer.gif breaks.

Bought the cable from Paul at Bakes, changed it out last friday, took 2 hours with help from the wife. Thanks for posting the "how to" article!

Then I followed D-Goose! :thumbup: