Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover - thoughts/recommendations

We have a '96 Sunsetter VLX which we bought last year. The cover/tarp was the original and was not in great shape. I need to get a replacement. Any recommendations?

I would highly recommend either a cover from Rankin or Evolution, especially if you will be either towing or mooring the boat with the cover on. I have had covers from both companies and they are both outstanding covers. The service provided by Cory at Evolution really sets him apart. Do a search on the site and there is lots of discussion about both covers among others.

Congratulations on the boat!

My neighbor got one of the waterline covers from the Canvas Shop, she loves it. In fact, she is the first testimonial on the testimonials page. They may not be as nice as the Evolution or Rankin covers but I believe they are also several hundred dollars less.

I would highly recommend either a cover from Rankin or Evolution, especially if you will be either towing or mooring the boat with the cover on. I have had covers from both companies and they are both outstanding covers. The service provided by Cory at Evolution really sets him apart. Do a search on the site and there is lots of discussion about both covers among others.

Congratulations on the boat!

Plus1.gif for Evolution Covers.

I am in the market and really like the new style of the Evolution and Rankin. It looks like you can play quarters on those things.

However I am always under a canopy or roof and think the the sun protection from a waterline cover from the Canvas Shop might be perfect for me. My biggest threat is birds, sun, and airborn debris. Especially since the stern of my boat gets hit with the sun the most.

Thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke with all 3 shops mentioned and from what I got from it, Cory at Evolution really set himself apart. Not olny does he know his craft, but the time he took to explain in detail how his cover is crafted really showed his dedication. No doubt in my mind about the experience I will get when I buy from him. Whom ever I talked to at Rankin was nice enough and gave me a few specs, but they are 7 weeks out for delivery, and a bit more expensive. The Canvas Shoppe, while they are just up the road from me, will be about $134 cheaper when it's all said & done and I'm sure a quality cover, they seem a bit behind the times in terms of design and are not nearly as trailer friendly as the Evolution & Rankin covers.

If anyone else is in the market, there's a 10% discount for orders of 4 or more from Evolution. I'm one, are there 3 more out there?

Jay

I just spoke with all 3 shops mentioned and from what I got from it, Cory at Evolution really set himself apart. Not olny does he know his craft, but the time he took to explain in detail how his cover is crafted really showed his dedication. No doubt in my mind about the experience I will get when I buy from him. Whom ever I talked to at Rankin was nice enough and gave me a few specs, but they are 7 weeks out for delivery, and a bit more expensive. The Canvas Shoppe, while they are just up the road from me, will be about $134 cheaper when it's all said & done and I'm sure a quality cover, they seem a bit behind the times in terms of design and are not nearly as trailer friendly as the Evolution & Rankin covers.

If anyone else is in the market, there's a 10% discount for orders of 4 or more from Evolution. I'm one, are there 3 more out there?

Jay

I am interested if he can make one for a 2001 sunsetter LXI with an illusion tower installed. Do you know if he can? Also what is the price and the time frame?

Edited by wakesetter2001

Wakesetter2001, I'll shoot you a PM with what I know.

Also, I posted under the most recent Group Buy topic regarding Evolution covers. If anyone is interested, please post there so we don't hijack anymore of this thread.

Jay

I would like a price on the Evolution as well. 1996 sunsetter vlx with Monster tower. Should I contact them directly?

Yeah, you'll need to contact him to make sure he can make one to fit. I'm sure he can and he may even have a template ready to go for your boat but will probably need you to take some simple measurements for the aftermarket tower. So far there's 3 of us showing interest. Once there's 4 showing interest I'll contact Cory about the group buy.

Jay

I am looking for a boat cover that will work on a 2000 Sunsetter VLX with a Swoop Tower added. I need the cover to fit when the tower is down since when I put the boat on my lift - the tower will go thru the roof if I don't bring it down. I looked at www.coverquest.com and they seem to have lots of options - but don't see my specific - so wondering if one of the other options will work. Any insights appreciated.

I also saw good comments about "Cory @ Evolution" so may call him as well. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
We have a '96 Sunsetter VLX which we bought last year. The cover/tarp was the original and was not in great shape. I need to get a replacement. Any recommendations?

There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a boat with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://boat-cover-review.blogspot.com/

There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a boat with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

Spam.

Doesn't look like they've even heard of an inboard boat, much less a Malibu.

There are many types of breathable fabrics available...blah, blah, blah...
Spam.

Plus1.gif The guy pulls up a thread that's over a year old when we have several threads currently discussing covers... :Doh: I like how he half-heartedly made himself a profile. His boat is a Malibu Sunset. Crazy.gif

I really hate it when people come on here and try to rustle up sales for their company. Whistling.gif

Spam.

Don't forget, their covers start at $60. That's got to be worth something right there. AND they have grommets.

Edited by Baddog
Don't forget, their covers start at $60. That's got to be worth something right there. AND they have grommets.

Can't you just picture some inbred buying a $20 tarp at Home Depot and cutting it into the shape of a boat and marketing it as a boat cover. ROFL.gif AND they have grommets. ROFL.gif

Guns.gifJohn Rozenboom, is that you?Bash.gif

Spam.

there a couple of factory malibu covers on ebay

• 7 months later...