Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Santa Clara county boat inspections

hyperlitenerd

we spoke with a DFG agent up at B&W. He said they were going to have 8 boats on the delta doing inspections, which didn't make much sense since others are inspections on boats BEFORE they enter the water. Dontknow.gif

Only time will tell. I ask the guys at B&W and Vierias all the time if they have heard or seen anything. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else on the delta.

Also, to be clear, they have not found these mussels on the Delta. So, it's not the Delta getting people black balled.

The mussels have been found in some Santa Clara Reservoirs, that is why they are being so strict. They probably don't want someone transporting them from one contaminated reservoir in SC County to another.

Edited by stewart
we spoke with a DFG agent up at B&W. He said they were going to have 8 boats on the delta doing inspections, which didn't make much sense since others are inspections on boats BEFORE they enter the water. Dontknow.gif

Only time will tell. I ask the guys at B&W and Vierias all the time if they have heard or seen anything. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else on the delta.

Also, to be clear, they have not found these mussels on the Delta. So, it's not the Delta getting people black balled.

The mussels have been found in some Santa Clara Reservoirs, that is why they are being so strict. They probably don't want someone transporting them from one contaminated reservoir in SC County to another.

I didn't think that they had found them in the SCC lakes yet. I know they have found them in so cal, and they can't afford to have them up here. I've heard to get rid of the muscles from a body of water, you have to drain it completely down, and let it sit dry for a couple of years.

I just got off the phone with DFG (1866-440-9530- Mussel hotline) and there is no "program" in effect. It is up to each water body to conduct their own inspections. There is no "band program." Lake county has a sticker program.

Seems to me that the Delta's "on the water" inspections would be too late... Maybe they will use this as a chance to pull more of us over to "educate" us (read: interview candidates for BUI or equipment violations by stopping us for "education" ...)

Anyway, it sounds like some of us my may potentially have day trips, weekends and vacation plans screwed up or ruined...

We need to add getting ALL the water out to our post boating routine.... sounds like I need another shop vac.

I wonder if the inspectors will be bright enough to discern if the fill pumps are running or the empty pumps....

I do not see how they could ask us to start motors out of the water... (just speculation)

Pat

Flip the wires on the back of the switches. Only you would know that they are opposite and when you are "Draining" you are actually filling.

Oh...I would never dream of such a thing... Biggrin.gif

However this IS something we need to be proactive with.

BUT... How do the Mussels breed? Is it the Mussels we need to worry about or are they in larvae form at some point in their lives?

Pat

I didn't think that they had found them in the SCC lakes yet. I know they have found them in so cal, and they can't afford to have them up here. I've heard to get rid of the muscles from a body of water, you have to drain it completely down, and let it sit dry for a couple of years.

My bad, they were actually found in a reservoir in Hollister. There fear was that that reservoir which feeds Calero could cause a problem.

Interesting read regarding it the find in Hollister http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/contentview.asp?c=234034

ALSO,

Known reservoirs/lakes with the Zebra and Quagga mussel in CA and restrictions: http://www.dbw.ca.gov/BoaterInfo/QuaggaLoc.aspx

The zebra mussel is a micro larvae. Michigan has a new evasive spices of weed showing up. I don't remember the name but it also is a micro larvae You can get 4 on the end of a pin. If you watch the progression of the spreed it has been shown to be from the migration of water foul. So who will be inspecting the birds? (IMHO) its just time you can't stop micro organism with inspections.

Flip the wires on the back of the switches. Only you would know that they are opposite and when you are "Draining" you are actually filling.

Oh...I would never dream of such a thing... Biggrin.gif

However this IS something we need to be proactive with.

BUT... How do the Mussels breed? Is it the Mussels we need to worry about or are they in larvae form at some point in their lives?

Pat

Larva that can live even in dampness in your carpet. This is something that we need to be very concerned with.

WOW!

So how the hell are we supposed to get ALL the water out??? Especially if we go out more than once a week?

What happens if you are camping and take it out every night. I'd sure fail daily...

I spoke with New Melones Marina (so far) and they do not have inspections as of yet and no one knew anything about them in the works. They are asking boaters to make sure there is no plant life on the boat or trailer and no excess water in the boat.

It would be nice if we could use a chemical post use with maybe a dye in it to prove we used it... . Naa, the dye would not be good for the lake.... I'm just typing out loud.

P

I go to Berryessa 99.9% of the time. Same marina, same cove, same everything. For me, a tag saying that this is the lake I went to last would suffice. Go ahead and inspect me if I've been anywhere else. (not sure how you could implement that though)

In the Contra Costa Times there was a story recently about the quagga mussels and how "they" soon would requiring boats to start up before launching to check for ANY water. I puckered up at that, since I just had the boat hooked to the fake-a-lake for a Spring run up. No doubt if I were checked tomorrow at the ramp there would be water coming out of the exhaust, good clean water straight from the hose at home...... Cry.gif

It seems to be creeping up from the south, I haven't heard of anything in the way of inspections at Berryessa yet, but it's likely a matter of time. With inspections come cost, and with cost comes more fees for us boaters to pay in some form or another.

Spoke to a Ranger at Berryessa and Rangers are doing weekend inspections at the free public launches. It is up to the resorts to do their own. The resort personnel have had classes regarding the mussels to do inspections. The guy I spoke to was mostly concerned with where your boat had been in the past month. I asked him about a zip tie or band system and he thought the DFG was kicking something like that around. He also noted that Lake County had implemented a sticker program as mentioned before. Apparently the larvae cling to hulls, trailers, anything and feel like a grain of salt when removed from water as you run your hand on a flat surface. Any vessel having larvae or mussels on it will be logged and have to be cleaned and cleared by DFG. He also said this is a developing issue and they are coming up with new info and ideas all the time. So stay tuned as things can and will change as the season goes on.

Patrick

http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/field_offices/...rtification.pdf

Link to a self certify form that will be used at Bureau of Reclamation Lakes. This one is for Berryessa.

Seems like an easy approach, but bound to be abused and fail.

Mods: could we make this topic a sticky or start another sticky thread RE: Mussels or Inspections?

Patrick