Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Model Year Differences & Help Selecting Boat

votas

New to the site and have tried searching for a similar thread, but can't find anything. Maybe I am not putting in the right criteria. Anyway, I just got rid of my 88 Nautique and narrowed the new boat to a Malibu. I am trying to decide between 3 currently on the market, two 2000 Wakesetter VLXs and one 2001 (~100 more hours). I am trying to find the difference between the model years and so far all I can guess is that the 2001 has the wedge and the 2000 doesn't. Can anyone share any differences. I am particulary curious about the following:

Docking Lights - 2000, 2001 or both?

Perfect Pass/Accuski - 2000, 2001, both, or neither?

Any difference in standard features versus options?

Seating configuration the same?

All three are listed at the same price ($27,500) and there are pros and cons of each. Some have more stereo in them, some are closer in location, the hours are slightly different, one has upgraded prop and balast.

Any opinions?

(option A) http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=463136

(option B) http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/701764037.html

(option C) http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=387502

Malibu Hull Chart.

Options will be different across different boats.

Perfect Pass can be added easily to any of these boats.

Docking lights are not a deal breaker on either of them.

The 2000 WILL be on the Wake hull. The 2001 will be Wake OR Diamond hull depending on which model it is.

Lake test all three if you can and make your mind up based on that first. Then add the extras. Don't pick a boat that isn't as sound mechanically for an extra $1000 worth of extras. It will bite you later down the road.

thanks, ronnie. Definately looking for function first...as I can always add bells and whistles later on. I was thinking that, if all things are relatively equal mechanically, then options may make a difference from a value perspective. We'll see. Going to go test one right now.

Is there anywhere where I can find online versions of brocures and/or owner's manuals for 2000/2001 malibus? I had some PDF versions of the maintenance manual for my nautique, and found it quite useful.

From what I remember, there wasn't very much in the way of change between 2000 and 2001 VLX's. The wedge was an option on the 2000 VLX. If the one you are looking at doesn't have one, it may be a Sunsetter VLX. In 2000, however, the Sunsetter VLX was on the wake hull.

The seating is the same in both models, as it was changed slightly between the 1999 and 2000 VLX's (the '99 model had a small permanently fixed table behind the drivers seat.

Beyond the possible wake/diamond hull differences, the most noticable difference between the two years will be the dash switches below the console. The 2000s have rotary knobs. The 2001s will have the Contura V rocker switches.

In terms of hull differences, it looks like the 2001 Wakesetter VLX is SV23-Wake and the LSV is on the diamond hull. Can someone confirm, because I have seen several posts here and on WW that say the 01 Wakesetter VLX is on a diamond (which I don't want). I thinking that the hull chart on this site is the source of truth and that my statement above is correct, but wanted to confirm.

Also - How can I tell whether an 01 is a Wakesetter or a Sunsetter with different graphics? Anything obvious to look at? Can you decode from the hull number?

I have narrowed the choices to 2 and hope to head to Salinas this weekend to check out what I hope will be my new (to me)malibu.

Thanks for all the info on this site and the responses to my questions.

Only way to know for sure is to look at the chines in the back of the boat. Run a search and you'll find some pictures.

-Chris