Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges quit working, battery is draining, need help!

I'm calling on the expert knowledge of the 'bu crew. Here's what happened.

Last weekend, I took my boat out, and the battery was dead (left two accessory switches on :unsure: ). Charged up the battery, and when I cranked the boat over, the coil wire had come off and was arching against the coil. Popped the wire back on the coil, and the boat fired right up.

But now, none of the gauges are working....except the tach, which bounces between zero and 6000 the whole time now. I also noticed that when the boat is off, the hours on the tach still display, and the tach needle bounces just a little. And when I turn on the key, the gauges don't spin up like the used to.

Went back out to my boat today to check the canon plug, and the battery was almost dead again. So seems like there's a slow draw somewhere that wasn't there before.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

The canon plug looked good, and I couldn't find any inline fuses behind the gauge cluster. Could I have fried something when the coil wire was arching against the coil? There are a couple of plugs on the coil that lead down to the computer brain (forgot what it's called).

Looking for any help I can get. Thanks.

Forgot to mention that my boat is a '99 Sunsetter VLX. And aside from the gauges, all of the accessories work, and the boat runs great.

So the guy at my local Malibu dealer told me to check for a bad ground. I have a digital multimeter, but haven't ever used it. Any pointers on how to check for a bad ground?