Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The big decision

koolkidd

I am new to the site. I have found myself with a big decision to make. I have been around boats all my life and I have always wanted one, especially a malibu. I never thought I would actually get one due to my wallet size. Anyway, a guy on my baseball team come to find out has a 2006 wakesetter xti (wake hull) that he is going to list for sale in a couple weeks. It was a showroom model so its decked out with everything. He got a great deal on it and will basically sell it to me for what he owes (38K). I think I would rather have a LSV but considering the price I don't think I can pass this deal up. I have 3 young boys that I want to teach to wake board so I am leaning toward buying the boat before he lists it. I am going to test it out tomorrow. Maybe I can posts some pictures. Oh yeah did I mention I somehow got my wife to actually agree to let me buy the boat if it tests out okay. I better strike while the iron is hot! Thoughts?

I am new to the site. I have found myself with a big decision to make. I have been around boats all my life and I have always wanted one, especially a malibu. I never thought I would actually get one due to my wallet size. Anyway, a guy on my baseball team come to find out has a 2006 wakesetter xti (wake hull) that he is going to list for sale in a couple weeks. It was a showroom model so its decked out with everything. He got a great deal on it and will basically sell it to me for what he owes (38K). I think I would rather have a LSV but considering the price I don't think I can pass this deal up. I have 3 young boys that I want to teach to wake board so I am leaning toward buying the boat before he lists it. I am going to test it out tomorrow. Maybe I can posts some pictures. Oh yeah did I mention I somehow got my wife to actually agree to let me buy the boat if it tests out okay. I better strike while the iron is hot! Thoughts?

This boat will throw a very nice wakeboarding wake, especially for 3 young boys starting out. I wouldn't worry too much that it is not a V-drive as long as the interior layout works for you. You will really, really like the way it drives. You will get lots of very free advice here, and I would say we are all pretty consistant in that boating is a great family activity, but don't over-extend yourself financially to get there.

We purchased the 23 XTi and love it. Even with the diamond hull it still throws a nice wake with ballast full and wedge. I worried about the layout but everyone seems to enjoy the three different areas to sit. I was in your shoes not too long ago and this boat came along and I couldn't pass it up. Hope this helps.

When we started looking for a boat I was also looking at the Vdrives. I was mostly looking at the VLX and but really wanted a 23 ft LSV. I just couldn't justify the money for the LSV. We came across a 23 Wakesetter XTI last year and could'nt pass it up. We love the boat and all the extra room the 23 provides. It's not like I or my kids are some sort of pro wakeboarders. Just recreational boarders. The wake is just fine and the price was right. No matter what anyone says you are the one making the payment so get what feels right to you. They are all good boats and you can't go wrong with any of them... I'm off to take the kids to the lake.

Good luck with the decision.

Some times you need that extra reason to get a boat(or any other big purchase) and sometimes a good deal is the tipping point.....go for it!....I love my XTI! I will always prefer an XTI.

Although a bit off topic, a very similar discussion with some interesting points and counterpoints to the XTI.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=15015

Gotta side with WakeGirl on this one...if you WANT an LSV, then don't settle. Wait and get what you want, meanwhile...happy reading on the above topic.

Hope this helps,

When I was looking it was for the xti, I found the 2005 with very low hours at a good price so I jumped on it. I love the boat but wish I had the 23' instead of the 21' My situation is similar (3 young kids) it also has the wake hull and is more that adequate for our ability. The interior layout works perfect if it's just us but we usually invite some friends and when we do that we can get cramped if we don't limit the occupants to 9 or so. Once everyone is seated and the boat is in motion its fine, but when the boat stops and everyone wants to move around, there are a few congestion areas. I've been on the 23' version several times and its a dramatic difference.

2006 xti with the wake hull for 38K is a great price. What length is it and how many hours are on it?

From what I've seen & read, the XTI is a fairly polarizing boat, particularly the 21'. People seem to either love it or hate it. The split between the common areas seems to be the thing that is the double edged sword. You'll see some people say that they bought the boat for that reason alone, & others that say they'd never own one because of it. Make sure make sure make sure that it's a layout that you can live with before forking out the dough. It doesn't matter how good the deal is if you're constantly wishing that you'd bought something with a different layout.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have been doing alot of looking and researching over the past few days. I have test drove it and it is great. It has every option I think there is. The seating arrangement is a love or hate thing it seems with most people. I am not sure I love or hate it. From what I have seen and researched the boat I really want would cost me a considerable amount more. We all would love the best and newest right. I think my family could be very happy with the XTI and if I want to upgrade in four to five years then so be it. Anyway right now I am leaning towards buying it. I will probably make a decision tonight or tomorrow. Its the 21.5' model which is fine. I think typically I will have 5 to 9 passengers max. I will keep you posted and post pics if I get it. Thanks look forward to being part of the crew.

If it is in your price range then buy it. You will have a lot more fun with a boat you own than one sitting in the showroom! I learned most of what I know behind a '79 Mastercraft that didn't even run when I bought it. Waiting until I could have afforded a "better" boat would have cost me many years of enjoyment.

While the XTI is a nice boat, if what you really want is an LSV than you should wait & get what you want. JMO, but buyer's remorse is a huge factor.

Plus1.gif

Get what you really want. Your wife isn't going to change her mind this late in the game and you'll not second guess yourself everytime you look at the boat.

On the otherhand if the xti is what you can afford, you'll have lots of fun it that and there is really no decision.

KoolKid, I'd say go for it! You'll love it, I know I said I wished I had the 23' but I love my boat and couldn't justify the up cost for the bigger one. I figured the same... it was my first boat and was stoked that it could be a Malibu, it was a good deal and if I wanted to upgrade later I could. I'm sure I will at some point but have no immediate plans for it.

If the wife said yes (I was surprised mine did as well) then go for it while you can!

Where are you located?

KoolKid, I'd say go for it! You'll love it, I know I said I wished I had the 23' but I love my boat and couldn't justify the up cost for the bigger one. I figured the same... it was my first boat and was stoked that it could be a Malibu, it was a good deal and if I wanted to upgrade later I could. I'm sure I will at some point but have no immediate plans for it.

If the wife said yes (I was surprised mine did as well) then go for it while you can!

Where are you located?

I live in Salt Lake.

Edited by koolkidd

I bought a new iRide last summer, because I was set on buying new and it was in my price range. Everyday I still dream about upgrading to a VTX, but until I find an extra $15k in the couch cushions, I'm happy with my boat every time I'm in it.

I think it's better to second guess the boat choice than to second guess the balance in the checking account. If money isn't an issue, get the boat you really want now.

Badger