Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Guard Rollers

jetskipro550

Our driveway is really steep and our prop guard drags. We have tried a few different hitches, but even if we drop it a lot it still scraps. We have to use about 3" worth of boards under the tires to get it up without scraping. I have searched ALL over town and the internet and no company makes anything that will work for our situation. My dad bought the DHM prop guard roller kit and it doesn't fit with our prop guard (the wheels stick down about 5" below the guard) Our trailer is a Sport Boat trailer but for the life of me I can't find a website for this company. We lifted our last trailer, but we can't do that to this one otherwise the boat won't fit in the garage.

I am looking for help in finding a caster that doesn't stick down more then 2.5" and can hold enough weight to not break when the tires come up off the ground. All of the "low profile" casters I have found can't hold more then 150-300lbs. I think I would need one rated at least 1000lbs. The sides of our prop guard are tubular and angled so I can't really mount to them, but the bottom is flat 1/4-3/8" and that is where I would like to mount the casters.

Please help!

I had to do the board thing with the old boat, wow it was irritating.Here is what weve got on ours.rollers001.jpg

It seems like a local welding shop could make something up pretty easily.

For my sport boat trailer, I had a local shop make an L shaped bracket, then bolted those on to the prop guard on the outside. this allowed me to get the depth just right.

you are correct, you cannot mount directly underneath.

Initially I used steel rollers, but have since switch to nylon as the steel marked up the drive when I had to bring the boat in on an angle. The steel rollers are far more expensive, but the nylons rollers are holding up great.

here's my thread on the topic. The pictures aren't showing even though they still are in my attachment list in my controls, so it might not help much. My boat is in Merced, but when it's back I'll take some new pics for you.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....7&hl=roller

Edited by Addictedto6

One more comment, my drive is a steep slope down and then flattens into the garage. Even with the rollers, my trailer tires never come completely off the ground when the rollers are dragging. Originally, I had the same weight load concerns that you have so paid for the steel rollers. But now that I see it in use, but I really don't think it's necessary.

But Paktron is the way to go if you really want them. I have a set you can buy cheap, just might cost a lot to ship! :)

Thanks for the replies. We are going to send back the DHM kit and take the boat over to our neighbors and see what he can fab up. Our neighbor is a expert welder and used to teach welding so he knows what he is doing....just hope he can help us out :unsure:

He may have deleted them from that link but still shows the shadow. Dontknow.gif

Taking the trailer to the local weld shop and having a set of steel ball bearing wheels put on should help a ton.

Nope, I didn't delete them. And they still show in my manage attachment list in my controls Dontknow.gif

Clap.gif My dad talked to our neighbor and they said if we can get the boat off the trailer and bring the trailer into their garage for 3 hours they will do all the cutting, welding, mounting, etc... Yahoo.gif

Now I just hope it is decent next weekend so I can spend 3 hours on the water :unsure:

can you hit the driveway at enough angle that one set of tires start to lift the trailer before the other set get's to the lowest point? I had to do this once, but it worked well.

can you hit the driveway at enough angle that one set of tires start to lift the trailer before the other set get's to the lowest point? I had to do this once, but it worked well.

I have to do this to get my boat up our side (crushed rock/dirt) driveway. It is exacerbated by the fact the town desided to put a 6" angled curb (didn't reallize it was a second driveway) in. Then the cable company put a cable box on the pivot corner of the turn (one more thing to watch out for)

I put the boat parallel to the curb, put one trailer wheel up on then I have enough height to clear the curb and then get up the pretty steep hill. Involves driving on the grass but oh well.

-Chris

Edited by 99response
  • 2 months later...

We had our neighbors tweak the rollers we bought from DHM and weld them on our trailer. They hang a little lower then I would have liked, but they work great and they lift ALL the wheels off the ground for about 5 feet when going up the driveway