Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop/shaft spin

I am trying to diagnose a weird noise when the boat is put in gear. I thought I would spin the prop by hand to see if I can hear it. With the boat in neutral shouldn't you be able to spin the prop by hand? I tried and it didn't budge.

I am trying to diagnose a weird noise when the boat is put in gear. I thought I would spin the prop by hand to see if I can hear it. With the boat in neutral shouldn't you be able to spin the prop by hand? I tried and it didn't budge.

W/ the boat in neutral it should be able to move, but not that easily. I know when we switch props over we need to lodge some wood in between the prop and the trailer b/c the prop will spin when trying to loosen the nut. So it should spin, but it will be pretty tight!

They can be stiff, but you should be able to turn it by hand. There is a bearing "material" (sorta like plastic I think) in the strut housing around the shaft. When dry, it will squeal when you turn it by hand. Use a spray bottle and squirt some water in there and it should be easier to turn. Or maybe that's the noise you've been hearing and the bearing is messed up or got something wound up inside it.

I hear the bearing material, but I can only spin it with a wrench on the prop nut. I was wondering if the Shaft packing was too tight would it cause it to be stiff also?

I can spin mine easily, even if dry, which is when you will hear a noise coming from the cutlass bearing (in strut). Once it is wet the noise should stop. Put a dab of oil on the cutlass, then see if it spins easier. If it does, then it might be time for a new bearing.

Shaft misalignment will cause the shaft to bind in the strut. You could unbolt the coupler at the transmisision & see if the shaft spins easily. With the coupler unbolted you could check the alignment with feeler guages.

Thanks for all the replies. I found the problem. I unbolted the coupling from the transmission and spun and slide the shaft down. Rubber pieces from the cutlass bearing started to fall out of the strut. looks like I am ordering a new bearing.