Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Help

Diesel_Hog

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for awhile and posted a few time but still getting the "feel" of this forum. I bought an new 07 23' wakesetter lsv last year and now I would like to take up wakeboarding. I am a little guy at 6'3 280 and wear a size 14 shoe. What advice does anyone have for a boy my size? I used to water ski and slalom and kneeboard and have never had a hard time picking up watersports. In fact, my fiancee is more worried about driving the boat than I am wakeboarding LOL. I have watched "The Book" DVD several times and picked up the Wake magazine last weekend and started reading it. JJ at Arrowhead in Rogers has a board that is a Liquid Force 146cm with bindings that fit shoe size 12-14 for 399. I don't know the brand of board but I saw it last week and really sparked my interest. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

Edited by Diesel_Hog

It will be up to you if you want to go for a big 146 or stick with something in the 141/142 range. I'm currently a "little guy" too at 6-2 & 250. I've been boarding the last 5 years on a 141/142. I pop right up & have no problems clearing the wake using the instructions from the book.

I did learn on a Liquid Force Rhythm 147 behind an underpowered boat, but like the shorter boards better. That particular board was pretty 'slick' in any chop.

Best thing to check is if the bindings fit well. They will stretch some over time, but you want them to be pretty comfortable now.

I'm just a noob wakeboarder so I can't help with your board selection... but I can vouch for the binding fit issue. I have Liquid Force Fusion bindings LG/X-LG that are supposed to be for 9-13+ shoe size. My shoe size is usually around 11.5 or a 12. Anyway, these bindings were a tight fit! I could get in them with binding lube but they were real tight. I figured they would break in after a couple weekends. Well... after a couple weekends of my feet going numb and getting slightly bruised, I decided to take action. I followed the advice in The Book about taking apart your bindings to adjust the size. It was really easy to do but I'm lucky that the bindings fit great now because there is no room left to adjust. If they were still too tight, I'd need larger sized bindings.

I too am a little boy. 6'2"/230. I am in no means an expert. Ive been wakeboarding for the past 4 years but only 3-4 times a summer. I just bought my own boat and I picked up my own wakeboard.

I got a Hyperlite State 145. This board is awesome! It is an intermediate board. Easy to learn and ride but it has enough performance to do some tricks when you get more proficient. I bought it mostly for the smooth ride and to learn how to jump the wake. Im 41, so I will not be doing any big time tricks. Just clearing the wake will be an accomplishment for me.

Check out the State board. Ask to see if your local shop will let you demo the board. Try it. You might be surprised

Oh yeah. I got the board and bindings for approx $279.

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle

This is not a plug for wakeside.com, but I just got their new summer catalog and in the front they have an excellent "Wakeboard Buyer's Guide". This is the best I've ever seen. It has 8 questions to ask yourself when selecting a wakeboard and clearly explains the differences in boards such as rocker and fins. It even makes suggestions based on what type of boat you will be riding behind.

There's also a "Binding Buyer's Guide" which is also very well written.

It might be available to read on their website or if not, maybe someone could post it here.

I am a bigger rider also but not quite your size. I am 235 and just purchased a Liquid Force PS3 141. I have been on it a couple of times and really like it. With you being 280 you may need something a little longer but you never know. I definitely recommend a few demos. As far as bindings I also just purchased the Liquid Force Vantage's with my board and I Love them. They close with 3 large velcro straps and are super adjustable and easy to get on and off. By far the most comfy boots I have ever been in (this sentiment also backed up by several of my buddies). Good luck!

I just seen the the PS3's online and they look like they would be a good beginner/intermediate board to use. Last summer I was down to 245 then diagnosed with diabetes and the insuline has helped me put on35 lbs which I am hoping to get rid of this summer. I figure boarding will help with some of that. Thanks for the input all I am looking forward to trying my luck at boarding and sure I'll be addicted once I get the hang of it!

I would definitely go with one of larger boards (145 or bigger). I have a buddy about your size and he really does not like riding anything smaller than a 145. Congrats on the new addiction.

I am 6'2" and 250lb and have been riding a cwb flame 141 with no problems. My wife bought me a ronix ibex 144 for my birthday, i will be riding it for the first time this weekend and give you an update. As far as the bindings I have the ronix cells and love them I dont konw what sizes they com in , but they are nice.

The board I am going to try out this weekend is the Liquid Force Trip 146. They have a decent selection of bindings and I am thinking that I like the vantage bindings so far. They look pretty comfy and easy enough to adjust compared to others that I have seen. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I'm scrawny compared to some of you fellas, at 6'1" and now 195 (down from 220). My Hyperlite Premier 143 does very nicely with LF Shane closed toe boots. My size 11 dogs fill 'em up and I don't know if the largest size is still available. For Christmas my daughter got a Transcend 141 (IIRC) and the thing is sweet. Yeah, I rode it last weekend. It's a little smaller and I think that helped as noted previously. Since your a bit larger, I wouldn't go smaller than 143. Comfy boots are #1, without a doubt. At age 43 (44 on Monday) I'm still planning on trying some stuff. Age is a state of mind, don't let it limit you. Just because the guys in The Book are in their 20's and ripped doesn't mean you can't do some of those tricks. I'll tell you, watch disc 2 over and over, Get those basics down pat. Our water is still a bit chilly to spend too much time in it, but get out and try!

BTW, how do they get so much air to have time for a Latte?

Just my two cents but I think the LF bindings are narrow and the HL bindings are the biggest. I have a size 13 shoe and the xxl/12-13 Murry's that I bought are just a little big. They'd probably be very comfy on you.

I have been admiring the Vantages too though. Let me know if they feel narrow to you...

I am a big boy too, 6'4" @ 265 Whistling.gif maybe more like 285 and I ride a Hyperlight 145 State with Shawn Murry boot bindings. I wear a size 13 shoe and found that the Hyperlight Shawn Murry boots to be the most comfortable. I must have tried every pair of bindings at the store and hands down they were the most comfortable. Unfortunatly they were the most expensive! Dontknow.gif Just dont let them talk you into smaller ones hoping for them to stretch. I made that mistake one time with snowboard bindings. That season was utterly miserable. JM2C

MalibuNation

I not an expert wakeboarder and don't play one on TV, wait a minute, I am an expert ... in not getting up. Here's a discussion I started about a year ago that was very helpful .. and I got up the first try.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....amp;hl=jchooper

Good luck and is that a bulldog in your avatar? Boxer?

I not an expert wakeboarder and don't play one on TV, wait a minute, I am an expert ... in not getting up. Here's a discussion I started about a year ago that was very helpful .. and I got up the first try.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....amp;hl=jchooper

Good luck and is that a bulldog in your avatar? Boxer?

6-4 250 over here - i bought the 08 CWB Absolute Platinum, and love it. It is an advanced board but i have taught some newbies on it.

More importantly i would recomend the CWB Hinge Bindings for those of us with Sasquatch feet. i HAVE 13.5 feet, and the 2XL is a nice tight fit, but easy enter and exit. You can probably find an online retailer with last years model, 08 has a closed toe on the Zeus, and i don't know if they are as comfortable

Well, I tried and bought the Liquid Force Trip 146 board. The bindings that it had on it were the Alphas and they were actually pretty comfy. I had no problem getting them on or off. I got up on the second try (first try driver took off like I was a skier). After reading the link (Thanks Malibunation) I realized that I was pulling myself out of the water and therefore wearing out my forearms (felt like Popeye) when I was done. Got outside the wake on the left side and made it back but crashed when I tried to change position. It is different than skiing and will take practice but I am already hooked and can't wait to try again. It didn't help that while I was looking like a newb, there was a guy that kept going by jumping wake to wake and doing some tricks. I was like "I'll be doing that by the end of summer!" The board I got is fairly wide in the middle and I think it made getting up pretty easy on me. I started freakin at first when the toe side edge went under water at first but plained out pretty quick.

edit: P.S my avatar is my English Bulldog "Sarge"

Edited by Diesel_Hog