Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tantrum pulling weight

wildroot56

I'm looking to buy a Tantrum but am wondering if they are light enough to pull with a class I trailer hitch. 200Lbs tongue and 2000Lbs trailer weight. I can only find a Class I trailer hitch for my car ('01 BMW 740IL) so am limited with the weight I can pull.

So my question is, does anyone know approximatly the tongue and trailer weight of a loaded tantrum on a single axel trailer.

Secondly, what can you all tell me about Tantrums. I've done some research and have not seen many negatives other than it's a pretty stripped down boat and has a closed bow. How are they for Wakeboarding? I used to have a '99 Sunsetter LXI and had to get rid of it a few years ago (2 kids in college) but have just GOT to get back on the water....somehow!

Edited by wildroot56

My first boat was a Tantrum and I have been buying Malibu ever since (on my third). It is a bare bones boat but the quality of construction is excellent. It is an excellent skiboat that would probably be an okay wakeboat with some ballast. I would highly recommend one if you find one in good condition.

If I remember correctly, the boat, trailer, fuel, gear, etc. would be around 3000 lbs. You may need to look into another tow vehicle with at least a class II hitch.

i would think it would have to weigh a minimum of 2k, plus the trailer.

I used to wakeboard behind one in Raleigh. With one fat sac and a fly high it was a decent wake (for a hacker like me). Very similar to a sportster weighted.

I love the Tantrum.

When I first met RiverRunner he had one and he not only wakeboarded but he surfed that baby.

It is an excellent slalom boat - very flat wake with just a tad spray at 41.5 off.

LOL - 41.5 off

Hafta ask Ken about towing it.

NO

I wouldn't try it with a class 1.

class 2 will give you 3500lbs which is the absolute minimum, but I personally wouldnt tow with anything less than a class 3 2" receiver style.

the beemer is already pushing (max towing probably around 1500lbs) it... no sense in breaking a hitch when the car can barly even tow it. say goodbye to the tranny...