Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Swim Step Ladder

Bake's Marine

Thought i would share this one with all the bu' owners, Malibu Boats just released a new swim step ladder option. It should be able to be added to any Malibu with the newer "quick disconnect" style swim step brackets (basically 03+) We've rigged a few ladders for customers in the past but this is a clean and strong set up how it mounts under the step integrated with the swim step bracket.

The only downfall i see is for goofy sided surfers, I'm sure this bracket will drag in the water and put some weird lines in the wake.

You can check out some pictures of the new ladder here: http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1034

The Bake's Crew

That was a good idea from Malibu, i could see using it a lot when the boat is on the trailer.

I'm glad they decided to put the ladder on the swim step/ aft part of the boat and not in the bow like the pickle fork boats do, they are really awkward to get up and get into the boat from the bow.

I was actually looking for a latter to mount. Perfect timing. Go with some older people at times and is not so easy to pull themselves up after a swim. But $400 seams quite a bit high for a bolt on ladder. Maybe I am wrong though

I was actually looking for a latter to mount. Perfect timing. Go with some older people at times and is not so easy to pull themselves up after a swim. But $400 seams quite a bit high for a bolt on ladder. Maybe I am wrong though

$400.00 is way too much. I bought mine here (it looks very similar to the Malibu one) Click Here: Windline 2 and 3 step ladders

I have it installed and will try to get a pic posted tomorrow. I bought the 3 step for $160., the 2 step is $140. I installed mine off the back of the swim grid instead of the side. it does not catch water or throw up a spray.

Edited by Cervelo

$400.00 is way too much. I bought mine here (it looks very similar to the Malibu one) Click Here: Windline 2 and 3 step ladders

I have it installed and will try to get a pic posted tomorrow. I bought the 3 step for $160., the 2 step is $140. I installed mine off the back of the swim grid instead of the side. it does not catch water or throw up a spray.

I am about to do the same. Did you mount yours in the center of the platform or off to one side? Can you post some pictures?

I've been loosely looking for a ladder for my father-in-law, but to me it seems that just having that ladder won't be enough....they need handles to grab onto as well...like a swimming pool ladder....thoughts? If I was an older guy....it seems that getting onto the platform would be easier w/o the ladder in this thread...maybe I'm wrong here....

I've been loosely looking for a ladder for my father-in-law, but to me it seems that just having that ladder won't be enough....they need handles to grab onto as well...like a swimming pool ladder....thoughts? If I was an older guy....it seems that getting onto the platform would be easier w/o the ladder in this thread...maybe I'm wrong here....

no one has needed a handle yet, they can usually reach the grab rail at the back for that critical maneuver from ladder to grid.

if needed i suppose you could clip a knotted rope to the lifting ring Dontknow.gif

The Malibu set up is a very clean strong answer that a lot of our customers have been looking and asking for, i agree it's pricey but with raw materials and fuel prices getting crazy, I'm not surprised. Bluntly said, The Malibu swim step ladder is over built, the bracket is made at the factory to work with factory quick disconnect system. The ladder is custom fit/made by challenger hardware (company that does some of the SS hardware for Malibu) to work with the bracket and support more than average weight.

Cervelo,

hot looking' boat! We've done set up's similar to yours in the past (holes on the bottom of the step don't matter as much as the top) but we kept having customers (200-250lbs) rip them out of the step. Eight 1/2 screws just don't have enough bite to support the weight, you could thru-bolt it but still the step is not reinforced where you mounted plus having that hardware on the top wouldn't be as pretty. A couple customers did them on the top of the deck but that just didn't look good plus it made it harder to put your board on with the ladder hardware on the deck.

I've received a lot of e-mails for some more pictures; here you go!!

post-4023-1212529061_thumb.jpg

post-4023-1212529085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski

I agree the the malibu step looks very well constructed and very solid. I doubt they produce the volumes to compete with a $140.00 ladder.

I have never had a problem with the, shall we say, skinny challenged persons on the windline ladder. I used 6, 1" course threaded screws on each side (also used a small washer). The new grid is thick enough for these screws.

Both ways look functional and look like they will work, I think what Bake's is trying to say (but can't say) is, you pay for what you get. Dontknow.gif i don't even need a bracket but i could see it being used by a lot of younger/older people that don't have the upper body strength to push themselves up on the step.

Here's what we did off the middle of the swim step. 3 years later it still works great. If you want higher resolution pics, send me your email address. Its a Windline SM-3X. It can be ordered directly or through West Marine.

post-284-1212553916.jpg

• 13 years later...

I installed an Aqua Performance self retracting ladder under the platform of my 06 247 LSV, this looks clean and appears to be rock solid.