Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Comparing '94 Sunsetter Euro & '98 Sunsetter LX

Greg Law

I'm shopping for a used Malibu, and currently comparing a '94 Sunsetter Euro F3 with 147 hours on the standard 250 HP Merc and a '98 Sunsetter LX with 250 hours on the standard 310 HP Merc (and a tower). Both are clean.

Wondering if anyone has experience with these years/models and can comment on topics such as which has the better ski wake, and are these engines that different to rule one of them out?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

I'm shopping for a used Malibu, and currently comparing a '94 Sunsetter Euro F3 with 147 hours on the standard 250 HP Merc and a '98 Sunsetter LX with 250 hours on the standard 310 HP Merc (and a tower). Both are clean.

Wondering if anyone has experience with these years/models and can comment on topics such as which has the better ski wake, and are these engines that different to rule one of them out?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Better wake, better boat O/A, tower, 60 more hp. = toss up?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Better wake, better boat O/A, tower, 60 more hp. = toss up?

I just bought a 94 Euro F3 and we are very pleased. It came with tower and speakers, etc. Wake is awesome. Even with small kids in the boat and no ballast I think I could wake skate. Thats my next purchase. Liquid Force has a board for smaller wakes. I am hoping it works ok. Link to board below

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1005

Either way I think you will be happy.

AF1 Rockon.gifpost-6526-1212108477_thumb.jpg

post-6526-1212108477_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Greg

I've had a 99 Sunsetter LX and an 04 Wakesetter DD (same hull). Never played with a Euro F3.

The Sunsetter has a pretty good ski wake (it isn't a response but still pretty darn good) and loaded up with ballast and wedge it will produce a great wakeboard wake. It is the same hull that is being used on the current I-ride and V-ride. Hulls don't stick around for that long without good reason.

310 merc has me confused however, I don't remember a 310 hp merc in the lineup. Unless you're talking about the black scorpian (which I thought was like 330 hp? BICBW).

My vote would be the Sunsetter all the way, much more current boat & hull that has withstood the test of time.

-Chris

I currently have a 98 sunsetter lx and I agree that is has a good ski wake and a great wakeboard wake with weight and wedge. The 310 HP motor in mine is the carburated from Indmar. It is a strong motor and very reliable. I don't have any experience on the water with the pre-95 models, but one thing to consider is the sunsetters after 1995 are all fiberglass, but the 1994 sunsetter might have wood stringers, I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong. IMHO malibu upgraded to the new hull in 1995 because they thought is was an improvement, and if the price is anywhere close, the 1998 is the way to go.

Had 92 Euro and a 97 Sunsetter LX

Wakeboard wake far superior on 97.

Ski wake a tad better on 97.

Rough water ride and even small wind chop far superior on 97.

Guess which boat I would choose?

No question, no hesitation, nothing to even consider, the '98 is the one to go with. The difference between those two boats is astronomical!

No question, no hesitation, nothing to even consider, the '98 is the one to go with. The difference between those two boats is astronomical!

tell us how you really feel Jason....

:)

Ok, let me expand on that a little. I think every boat Malibu has made has been a great product for the era it was designed and built in. That includes the original Malibu inboard, the Skier, the Sunsetter, all of them.

But assuming there's no difference in price (unlikely), or you can afford the premium for the '98 (hopefully), you're just getting a ton more boat. That's not to say the Euro F3 isn't nice, because it definitely is, but the '95-'00 Sunsetter is probably the one single model I would credit with ushering Malibu into the modern era of boat design. All fiberglass construction, SV23 Hull, FibECS, that boat includes a ton of innovations that have set the standard for manufactures throughout the industry.

I know a good ski boat that puts out a better ski wake than either the Euro or SLX..... Whistling.gif

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Lx is slightly better then the lxi.

I know a good ski boat that puts out a better ski wake than either the Euro or SLX..... Whistling.gif

Like you've ever been on a waterski before...LOL

Plus1.gif

After skiing behind both countless times the LXI is unquestionably better as it's on the diamond hull while the SLX is not. In fact IIRC Waterski Magazine rated the SLXI at 1.5 (1 being the best) and the SLX at 2. Conversely, the SLX gets the nod for a better wakeboarding hull. The LXI has more room, more storage. :)

After skiing behind both countless times the LXI is unquestionably better as it's on the diamond hull while the SLX is not. In fact IIRC Waterski Magazine rated the SLXI at 1.5 (1 being the best) and the SLX at 2. Conversely, the SLX gets the nod for a better wakeboarding hull. The LXI has more room, more storage. :)

Sure but the LX has WAY cooler people riding in them. Waterski said "the LX is 1 more in the cool factor for passengers than the LXI" so toss that potato at the cheese farmer.

Like you've ever been on a waterski before...LOL

Of course you would not remember, you were still in diapers.

you are correct, more weight in the trunk craps out the wake.