Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Malibu Purchase - A little long

dgaustin

I ordered an 08 Wakesetter 23LSV in January. Took delivery in March. I've got about 20 hours on it and have taken it to dealer for the first service call. Before this boat, we had a 95 SeaRay I/O. Bought it used in 2000. I like the LSV. It is clearly a much bigger, better boat. But I've got some questions about what my expectations should be regarding the details. I put together a very long list of issues I've found in the boat after 3 weekends worth of usage.

The stereo system (Sound Pack 3) has multiple problems: system has hissing noise coming thru speakers, speakers bump loudly when turning on/off, cabin speakers just cut off at semi-loud volumes, the driver control unit that can be used to power on/off system won't always turn stereo on, usb flash drive will repeat same songs over and over, ipod control does not work for newer model (does with an older mini), in both flash drive and ipod usage system will not display song titles.

Water gets in glove box thru rear where it meets windscreen because there is an opening (i see light coming thru the back), the cooler drain has leaked water onto the carpet in the cabin, the windscreen seems to rattle (make noises) when underway, the right side of the tower base squeaks very loudly when underway in addition to the pin just falling out on occasion, some of the black paint has cracked off the right side of the tower base, the power wedge display is not correct (I actually just read another post about this issue).

So my question is, are these kind of problems normal on a new boat? I've never purchased a brand new boat before. I've presented all of these issues to my dealer, and am sure that most if not all will be dealt with. I just want some opinions on what my expectations should be. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would say not normal. When you are paying that kind of coin for a boat you should expect only the best. See what the dealer does for you. I would then get a rep involved if they aren't willing to help you out.

I would say not normal. When you are paying that kind of coin for a boat you should expect only the best. See what the dealer does for you. I would then get a rep involved if they aren't willing to help you out.

Agreed! Understandable to have a few little problems that may slip through the cracks, but your list is long........ See if the dealer takes care of them and call the rep if they don't.

BTW ............ Congrats on the new Bu and

Welcome.gif

Agreed! Understandable to have a few little problems that may slip through the cracks, but your list is long........ See if the dealer takes care of them and call the rep if they don't.

BTW ............ Congrats on the new Bu and

Welcome.gif

Plus1.gifWelcome.gif

Congrats on the new bu. While it seems that you have a long list it also seems that it is all minor issues other than the stereo. give your dealer a chance I know my punch list was around 35 items to be fixed, adjusted, or changed. I must say my dealer took care of all of them with NO hesitation. all the asked was that I let them do the minor stuff in the winter as to take care of more pressing( its sunny and people want there boat asap) matters. which I gladly obliged. the world isn't perfect. but give your dealer a chance to make your bu experience perfect. Thumbup.gif

You can set at what volume you want the jbl box to turn on at to get rid of the bump. you can turn down the gain on the amps a little to get rid of the hiss.

the bad news is on the sound pac 3 8 cab speakers running on one rf p400 will not work. malibu goofed on this one. i fought with them on this one back in aug 07. in past years rockford sold them p450 amps in a metal case this amp ran 8 cabin speakers fine, they stopped making this amp. now they make a cheaper p400 , more plastic it will show shorted running 8 of the little cabin speakers if you go over half way on the output.

I ordered an 08 Wakesetter 23LSV in January. Took delivery in March. I've got about 20 hours on it and have taken it to dealer for the first service call. Before this boat, we had a 95 SeaRay I/O. Bought it used in 2000. I like the LSV. It is clearly a much bigger, better boat. But I've got some questions about what my expectations should be regarding the details. I put together a very long list of issues I've found in the boat after 3 weekends worth of usage.

The stereo system (Sound Pack 3) has multiple problems: system has hissing noise coming thru speakers, speakers bump loudly when turning on/off, cabin speakers just cut off at semi-loud volumes, the driver control unit that can be used to power on/off system won't always turn stereo on, usb flash drive will repeat same songs over and over, ipod control does not work for newer model (does with an older mini), in both flash drive and ipod usage system will not display song titles.

Water gets in glove box thru rear where it meets windscreen because there is an opening (i see light coming thru the back), the cooler drain has leaked water onto the carpet in the cabin, the windscreen seems to rattle (make noises) when underway, the right side of the tower base squeaks very loudly when underway in addition to the pin just falling out on occasion, some of the black paint has cracked off the right side of the tower base, the power wedge display is not correct (I actually just read another post about this issue).

So my question is, are these kind of problems normal on a new boat? I've never purchased a brand new boat before. I've presented all of these issues to my dealer, and am sure that most if not all will be dealt with. I just want some opinions on what my expectations should be. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I don't think you have any reason to be worried. Most of your issues can be easily fixed,some of them you can do yourself in a couple of minutes.

I had a couple of the same problems with my 08 23LSV. To fix the glove box leak all it takes is a short piece of automotive type weather strip cut to fit the small gap in the corner of the glove box , I also added a small bead of clear silicone. As far as the tower I am guessing that the side with the paint chipping is the same side that the pin is falling out on? To fix the pin you should be able to tighten the set screw directly above the pin but be sure not to over tighten or you won,'t be able to remove the pin. The dealer should be able to repair the paint and the rattle with out to much trouble. Hope this helps .

Those are totally normal things to happen to a new boat, but honestly I don't think the dealer can possibly fix all your stereo issues. The flash drive and ipod stuff are JBL across the board issues.

-Chris

Thanks for your opinions. This seems to be a great site for information such as this. I'll just sit back and wait for the dealer to take care of most of these issues; but I'm in agreement that the USB problem on the JBL system most likely can't be "fixed". I'll also take the attitude of trying to take care of some of these myself. Thanks again.

I bought my first malibu (an 07 VTX) last August. I've had some of the problems that you've experienced like the pin falling out of the tower and the glove box issue (I posted the issues on this site, but am too much of a novice to put the link in for you to view those threads). As for the glovebox issue, mine was somewhat related to the design and installation of the windshield. The fix involved what a previous replier has already stated regarding the silicone/weather stripping type stuff. As for the pins in the tower, the set screw also referenced will probably fix that. If you don't fold the tower, then my recommendation would be to overtighten the set screw. If you, like me, frequently fold the tower, you need to just think of keeping the screw adjusted as a part of routine maintenance. If you overtighten the screw, it will be less likely to fall out, but very difficult to insert/remove. If, however, you undertighten the screw, rough water and tension on the tower will let that pin back itself out. Don't be discouraged with the small stuff. You've got a great boat and I'll bet your dealer will handle all of these things in a way that will satify you. Give em a chance.

Interesting post! I took delivery of my 08 23 LSV about the same time you did..and, most likely, from the same dealer (only one in houston). It is funny reading your post because just about every single issue you had with your boat, I have had exactly the same with mine. Leaky glovebox, leaky icechest, terrible stereo (plays same songs over and over, IPOD not working), pin falling out on tower, etc. Most of the issues were fixed at the first 20 hour, and I will be taking it in for the 70 hr service very soon.

The one major problem that I am having, and I think some other people have had this issue, is the racks stripping out the holes in the Tower. The first attempt at a fix (re-tapping) yielded the same results after about 20 minutes out on the lake. I think the only solution may be to drill all the way through the tower and put some type of support on the other side. I'm afraid replacing the tower will just result in the same problem (obviously a design issue). Anybody else having this problem with the Illusion XS?

As far as the stereo.. still chaps my a** everytime I think about how worthless it is. Maybe if everyone complains they will come out with some kind of fix. Until then, I'm going to install as WS-420 under the dash so I can actually control my Ipod without reaching over into the glovebox (oh yeah, and MUTE the stereo when a rider falls).