Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how tough is a bu?

Lake.OD

This is probably a dumb question, but as my dad says, no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask them.....

I was caught running from a storm this last weekend and really had to run hard to get back to my dock with the kids before we got in a heap of rain. Anyway, my question is I ran about 35 minutes at about 4000 rpm / 33 mph. The boat ran great, we hit some big water but other than the usual "thump" after hitting a few big waves everything did great. We got in before the storm and all is well. I baby this boat like a pampered super model. The question that occured to me is just how hard can these boats be ran before doing any hull / engine damage? I wasn't even wide open throttle, but I was running as hard as I ever have for sure. Seems like no harm no foul.... how tough are these expensive little toys???

We skiers like to go 34 to 36. Your boat was just nearing it's comfort zone. You're fine.

Oh, lifetime hull warranty but you won't need it for some bumps on the water. If I'm running from the rain, the hammer is down all the way.

thumps?...that sounds bad. I bet you did some serious damage. Sell the boat quickly..."as-is" and probably way below market value, I might be willing to do you a favor and take it off your hands.

-Chris

I haven't opened up the new guy yet. Only 18 hours and feel like its to new to open her up. But in the sporty I had before it was pedal to the medal if we were running from the storm. These things are unbreakable.

thumps?...that sounds bad. I bet you did some serious damage. Sell the boat quickly..."as-is" and probably way below market value, I might be willing to do you a favor and take it off your hands.

-Chris

I'd give him 10 thousand right now for it just so he doesn't have to deal with advertising it! Whistling.gif

seriously:I have ridden in a lot of boats and the Malibu's exceed above almost all the competition where overall comfort, design and toughness are concerned.

4k in a ski tractor is about 40. Many if not most barefooters require speeds that high if not higher. I have driven for an open level footer on a regular basis and he needed 46 for his toe run, which was about 4900. So, you're fine there. As for thumps from the water (assuming it wasn't something submerged), given that the majority of Malibu's pro team are lining up with boats weighted with 3-5k lbs, and are driving right through triple ups, some "thumps" from wind chop didn't do any damage. The worst damage was done to your wollet turning 4k for that long!

Watch the JuJu section of the Liquid Force wakeboarding DVD The Truth

Talk about tough...

A boat that's electrical will run immediately after it's TOWER has been under 6 feet of water.

Lake Powell and towing a boat - a bad mix if you're not paying attention.

Thanks on the feedback..... not quite ready to sell it... :)

If anybody was on Tablerock lake on Sunday they know what I mean.... that storm went almost straight north and west and it was a mean little storm. I made it all the way from Cow Creek back to Aunts Creek in record time (for me).

While on this unusual topic... when big lake boating and heading to the next "locale" what is your cruising speed. I am a 20 mph guy and enjoy the ride. Thoughts?

Lake OD,

I was on beaver and we had the same storm roll in, quite impressive lighting display. Passed in about an hour and a half and it was the butter after the storm.

Thumbup.gif

Thanks on the feedback..... not quite ready to sell it... :)

If anybody was on Tablerock lake on Sunday they know what I mean.... that storm went almost straight north and west and it was a mean little storm. I made it all the way from Cow Creek back to Aunts Creek in record time (for me).

While on this unusual topic... when big lake boating and heading to the next "locale" what is your cruising speed. I am a 20 mph guy and enjoy the ride. Thoughts?

I've always wondered this too. Sometimes I really slam into waves and I wonder if the boat is gona split in two. Sometimes it is the worst feeling and sound in the world!

There was a thread a few days ago about the optimal speed VS gas consumption. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....78&hl=speed

Back in college we rented a I/O runabout. Big storm came up with probably 4-5 foot waves. We took that boat out full throttle into the waves, whew it flew and would crash HARD into the next wave. You could see the windshields flexing together every time it hit a big wave. Other than the ton of water that came over the bow, it was fine 30 minutes later when we arrived at the marina. My Malibu is 1000% more sturdy than that boat was, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I haven't opened up the new guy yet. Only 18 hours and feel like its to new to open her up. But in the sporty I had before it was pedal to the medal if we were running from the storm. These things are unbreakable.

I have been told to open it up for short periods early in the break-in period (like first hour) to properly seat the rings. Is this not correct?

I have been told to open it up for short periods early in the break-in period (like first hour) to properly seat the rings. Is this not correct?

According to the Indmar recommended break-in procedure documented in the owners manual for 2008 that is not the correct method.

ive heard a story of a boat here in aus that was totaled in a road crash? Anyway, there was something seriously messed up about it (RLX i think). Apparently there is video of guys from the factory trying to destroy the hull with a back-hoe/bobcat type piece of machinery. story goes they had a real hard time smashing it up and it wouldnt bust. I will try and remember to ask the manager next time im at the factory.

How tough is a BU?

TOUGH AS NAILS

ROFL.gif

Ditto.

We often do 'double ups' and those hit pretty hard with all ballasts full, loaded with people and a few lead plates. Nothing but great performance thus far. Only thing if our power wedge is not deployed, if we bump hard enough it gives us the "wedge is moving up" message even though it is not.

OD we were in Big Cow on Sunday when the big storm rolled in about 3pm. We ran wide open throttle all the way back to State Park Marina. (25mins).

...and my nu bu's only got 22 hours on it.

I've heard its okay to run it however you want after the first 10 hours. (provided you got all the 10 hour service done)

anyone ever heard anything different??

you will notice the smell of burning if you run a new engine wide open for any length of time, but that happens in new cars too i've noticed, just a new car thing...

The only thing you're going to hurt by running WOT is your wallet, and it doesn't seem that you were even close to that. When pulling barefooters, we'll run it wide-open for how ever long the guy stays on his feet. When we run the Mississippi and St Croix rivers, not only do we often run at high-cruising speed (34-3600RPM- just enough to stay out of the secondaries on the 4BBL) We often get POUNDED by barge, houseboat and big cruiser wakes. Granted, you learn to "take" the waves in such a way to make it comfortable for your passengers, but sometimes you're just going to get pounded. Don't worry- you didn't even give that boat a workout- that was a nice little warm-up. You could probably run that boat wide-open for a very long time before any damage were done.