Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winshield Disaster

I decided to solve my windshield that has peeled and chipped by having it powdercoated, Thanks to some great advice and a maginificent thread from 'Addicted to 6' I took on this project and took my windshield to a professional glass company nearby to unassemble the glass and frame. They did, however they would not guarantee the job if the glass broke, I agreed. I had the frame powdercoated and took back for re-install. Bottom line is the glass company broke the port side curved glass and now the project is at a halt. I have spoken with about 20 people from Taylor Maid and Malibu. Taylor Maid will not sell glass only, there is only 1 company in Florida that can get it. The glass company has thrown the towel in on the deal and I am in a bind. I can buy a new windshield from Taylor Maid but then I will likely end up in the same situation years from now. I can buy a port side only and un-install the glass to put it in the powdercoated frame, but then I risk the same situation I am in now.

What I am trying to find out is whether the windshield that was the generation after mine will fit my year (1999 Sunsetter LXI). I am told that it can be done, and that the paint chipping problem was fixed in this generation. I have also heard that there might be the need to do some fiberglass repair to fill the old holes...this doesn't bother me as I have a guy that does awesome gelcoat work. Has anyone done this procedure, switched or have experience with this? I wanted to do the permanent fix here and so far it has been a permanent headache.....should have just bought a $1.00 sharpie and the boat would be on the lift by now. I would greatly appreciate any information or contacts that would make this less painful....I am coming to the conclusion that a whole new windshield is what I am faced with but want to still solve the original OEM problem of paint chipping. Cry.gif

Thanks Much!

Sorry to hear about the problems the glass company. How the hell did they break the glass? Ranting.gif and what does no guarantee mean? If I could do it without breaking the glass, a glass shop sure the hell should have... Guess I was right to DIY after all (huh Pete :) ).

I don't think the paint problem was ever solved for the Sunsetter LXI.

I'm really surprised Taylor Maid won't get you just 1 panel.

Have you tried calling custom glass shops to see if you can get someone to make it for you. Sounds like the company you went to for the disassembly/assembly does not manufacture bent glass, but you should be able to find someone who could do it. Not sure what you'll be looking at from a cost perspective though.

Edited by Addictedto6

As a DIY'er, I find it hard to believe that a glass shop couldn't do this without breaking a panel. I took all of my panels apart and assembled them myself. The assembly only took part of one afternoon. The hardest part was working alone and I needed extra hands to reinstall it back on the boat.

Sorry about the delema... Good luck.

I decided to solve my windshield that has peeled and chipped by having it powdercoated, Thanks to some great advice and a maginificent thread from 'Addicted to 6' I took on this project and took my windshield to a professional glass company nearby to unassemble the glass and frame. They did, however they would not guarantee the job if the glass broke, I agreed. I had the frame powdercoated and took back for re-install. Bottom line is the glass company broke the port side curved glass and now the project is at a halt. I have spoken with about 20 people from Taylor Maid and Malibu. Taylor Maid will not sell glass only, there is only 1 company in Florida that can get it. The glass company has thrown the towel in on the deal and I am in a bind. I can buy a new windshield from Taylor Maid but then I will likely end up in the same situation years from now. I can buy a port side only and un-install the glass to put it in the powdercoated frame, but then I risk the same situation I am in now.

What I am trying to find out is whether the windshield that was the generation after mine will fit my year (1999 Sunsetter LXI). I am told that it can be done, and that the paint chipping problem was fixed in this generation. I have also heard that there might be the need to do some fiberglass repair to fill the old holes...this doesn't bother me as I have a guy that does awesome gelcoat work. Has anyone done this procedure, switched or have experience with this? I wanted to do the permanent fix here and so far it has been a permanent headache.....should have just bought a $1.00 sharpie and the boat would be on the lift by now. I would greatly appreciate any information or contacts that would make this less painful....I am coming to the conclusion that a whole new windshield is what I am faced with but want to still solve the original OEM problem of paint chipping. Cry.gif

Thanks Much!

The Sunsetter LXI hull was unchanged from 99-04 so the newer style ones should fit (Pacific Coast or something like that?)

I think the lexan route would be easier and more cost effective however. It is alot of money to drop into a few paint chips.

-Chris

I don't think that I've heard that they ever fixed the paint problem either, BICBW. I think that if it were me, I would see if I could get that half of the windshield (with or without the frame) & take it to a glass shop that will guarantee it if they break it. What's that saying about "fool me once...."?

I don't think that I've heard that they ever fixed the paint problem either, BICBW. I think that if it were me, I would see if I could get that half of the windshield (with or without the frame) & take it to a glass shop that will guarantee it if they break it. What's that saying about "fool me once...."?

Yup, they still chip on my cousin's 2001 Sunsetter LXi.

On my 2002, what Ithe previous owner of boat did was used a dremmel and ground/sanded away all the paint to leave the nice shiny aluminum exposed. I use aluminum polish on it and it looks as good as chrome.

f_boat_desc--2347_627.jpg

*edited for typos

Edited by areamike

Yup, they still chip on my cousin's 2001 Sunsetter LXi.

On my 2002, what Ithe previous owner of boat did was used a dremmel and ground/sanded away all the paint to leave the nice shiny aluminum exposed. I use aluminum polish on it and it looks as good as chrome.

f_boat_desc--2347_627.jpg

*edited for typos

That looks great.... great idea!!

Thanks Much!

I have a guy in California I buy curved glass from. I will get you his name & number tomorrow if you like. You would need a pattern piece, prefferably with the bend in it - you would have to figure that one out.

Email me if you want to try that route.

Steve

wow...that does look awesome! Mine is all chipped around the top too. The paint can be rolled off with your fingers! I will think about sanding it off and polishing. I had thought about taping it off and spray painting it with a black enamel spray too. 2001 sunsetter lxi....

wow...that does look awesome! Mine is all chipped around the top too. The paint can be rolled off with your fingers! I will think about sanding it off and polishing. I had thought about taping it off and spray painting it with a black enamel spray too. 2001 sunsetter lxi....

The previous owner of my boat had the same exact plan. He had actually already bought the primer and enamel pain. However, after he sanded the paint off and noticed how good it looked, he left it.

My cousin's have the same boat as you. Their windshield looks like crap with the paint chipped all around and they plan to do the same as mine.

Edited by areamike