Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water proof boat cover for storage

What is the best place to get a storage cover for my 1995 sunsetter. I have a canvas cover but it leaks water when we get a thunder storm, which is every second day in the summer. I would be nice for winter storage too.

What you want is a cover made out of Sunbrella, which is both waterproof (to prevent rain from entering the boat) and breathable (to prevent mildew from forming under the cover).

Most high end covers are made from Sunbrella, so you can take your pick of the many available that offer the best balance between features and price. On this site, Rankin is going to be the most popular for your boat, but also one of the most expensive.

What you want is a cover made out of Sunbrella, which is both waterproof (to prevent rain from entering the boat) and breathable (to prevent mildew from forming under the cover).

Most high end covers are made from Sunbrella, so you can take your pick of the many available that offer the best balance between features and price. On this site, Rankin is going to be the most popular for your boat, but also one of the most expensive.

What if you have a tower? I have snaps from an old cover that rotted out. The guy that sold me the boat gave me the old one to use as a template. I'm leaning towards a full cover though that will wrap around the tower poles. The boat sits outside on a lift all summer. Should I buy a cover that fits this boat and have someone install velcro at each pole? Any idea on where to find a custom-cover that fit's this bill?

Thanks! Thread borrower,

Wood

If it is for storage on a lift I would reccomend a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com They can make it custom to fit around the tower. Fits great, won't leak and will cover nearly all of your gel coat along with the platform from the sun.

Edited by BrianM

if you are looking to buy a new cover do a search for 'rankin' or 'evolution' on this site. They both make great covers for the boats, and should have a template for yours.

I definitely recommend a cover from Evolution Covers. Cory was great to work with and I was very happy with the cover and the overall buying experience.

Evolution doesn't have templates for boats that far back, so Rankin is the only option.

Isn't a 95 Sunsetter just a current I-ride or V-ride or did the deck change along the way?

Evolution doesn't have templates for boats that far back, so Rankin is the only option.

Isn't the Malibu Response LX the same hull/overall exterior design 1998 to present? My understanding is that they came out with the Diamond hull in 1998 and it remains unchanged.

Thanks,

Wood

Nope, major redo in 99 which added the trunk, 99-present is the same.

I've owned a 99, 00, 02, and 03 Response LX's and its possible all were pulled from the same mold.

Nope, major redo in 99 which added the trunk, 99-present is the same.

I've owned a 99, 00, 02, and 03 Response LX's and its possible all were pulled from the same mold.

Just because they added the trunk, how does that change the outside shape, i.e. cover dimensions? It's still 20.0 feet long.

Wood

You can get a acetate (sunbrella ) cover that is exactly the same size as your factory original from a Malibu dealer. It too will leak after a couple of years but it has the Bu logo so its all good.