Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing a depth finder on an 08 VTX

Anyone ever change a depth finder module on an 08 VTX? It looks to be threaded and sealed with a rubber gasket. Not sure if there is room to fit any tools in there to grab that plastic "nut" do you need some sort of spanner wrench? and does the wire go all the way up to the back of the gauges? or is there a connection somewhere else? Thanks for any input!!

Why are you "changing it".

And it sounds like you're looking at the paddle wheel (which provides the speed signal for the speedometer and cruise system), and not the depth finder transducer.

And it sounds like you're looking at the paddle wheel (which provides the speed signal for the speedometer and cruise system), and not the depth finder transducer.

My Boat has seperate paddle wheel and depth gauge transducer it is not one peice like others describe on their boat they sit about 8in apart from each other. They look similar inside the boat but on the bottom the depth modual is a flat round puck. It has gone bad because it reads .08 most of the time and 400 sometimes, after calling my dealer they tell me its bad. I don't want to trailer my boat to the dealer so I figured Id ask to see if anyone has ever changed one before so I can do it myself. Paddle wheel works good!

My Boat has seperate paddle wheel and depth gauge transducer it is not one peice like others describe on their boat they sit about 8in apart from each other. They look similar inside the boat but on the bottom the depth modual is a flat round puck. It has gone bad because it reads .08 most of the time and 400 sometimes, after calling my dealer they tell me its bad. I don't want to trailer my boat to the dealer so I figured Id ask to see if anyone has ever changed one before so I can do it myself. Paddle wheel works good!

Found out that it is the modual itself. I just swaped the puck shaped modual which sits in the hull about 12" from the paddle wheel and it fixed the problem. Not the easiest thing to change but not to bad either..