Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Draining the onboard ice chest

Maybe a stupid question lol, but are you suppose to be able to drain the onboard cooler? There's a hole in the corner of the cooler but no water runs out of it. Is there a button to push or is there a cap over the hole I don't know about? Thx for any help

It's pretty common for that small diameter drain to become clogged with excess debris from the manufacturing process. Use something to clean it out and it should drain much better.

The environmentalists are afraid that if you spill a beer in the cooler and it drains into the bilge, it may get pumped into the lake, exposing the fish to a substance known to cause cancer in the state of California. The drains should be plugged!!!

The environmentalists are afraid that if you spill a beer in the cooler and it drains into the bilge, it may get pumped into the lake, exposing the fish to a substance known to cause cancer in the state of California. The drains should be plugged!!!

ROFL.gif

Maybe a stupid question lol, but are you suppose to be able to drain the onboard cooler? There's a hole in the corner of the cooler but no water runs out of it. Is there a button to push or is there a cap over the hole I don't know about? Thx for any help

ours has an electric drain, you hold in 0n the horn button for ten seconds with the key on and the cooler drains.

ours has an electric drain, you hold in 0n the horn button for ten seconds with the key on and the cooler drains.

Or just make a sharp turn to the right and it sloshes out over the top, right? Biggrin.gif

I'd give your dealer a call before you start poking with any tools, there may be a hose with a valve somewhere you don't know about or just a factory plug that wasn't taken out when they molded it.

If you open the middle seat & look on the outside of the cooler, there is a rubber that is only a foot or so long that drains the water from the cooler into the bottom of the bilge. You should be able to easily look into that hose to see if it's clogged..... or remove it to clean it out.

• 5 weeks later...

The cooler drain on my 06 V-ride is also clogged. I bought it used, so I don't know if it ever drainged. First I tried to run a long flexilble steel wire used in electical work but couldn't clear the drain. Then I tried compressed air. I held a rubber tipped air nozzel against the draine and applied pressure. I heard some noises, and could actually see the floor of the aft cargo compartment on the drivers side "swell up" as I applied the air pressure.

It is still under warranty, Laurel Marine is the only Malibu dealer in the area, I guess that I'm going to use those frozen blue ice things until I can schedule an appointment with them to look at it.

I'm worried that water is trapped under that cargo compartment rotting the sub floor of the cargo compartement.

Any suggestions?

Any opinions on Laurel Marine on the Volenteer Parkway or their location on South Holston lake, any preferences or other options?

don't mean to hijack but in my rlx the drain plug is in the rear of the cooler but is like a 1/2 from the bottom on the actual back wall of the cooler. it my just be me...but I think this is a terrible design because #1...you would have to be movin with the nose up a bit in order to get the water to the back and hold it like that until its empty and #2 with the plug being about a 1/2" up on the back wall of it, its very difficult to get ALL of the water out of it.seems like a more logical design would e to have a drain hole at the bottom in the center and have the floor of the cooler slope inward to the drain...I just know if you forget to clean it out, since it doesn't drain al the way it can start to produce a smell that you read about and it doesn't take but a day