Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
cstello

Funny noise

cstello

I just bought a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter LXi. When on the lake I noticed a ticking type noise that was unusally loud. You can only hear it when the boat is in gear. This is my first ski boat so I am not sure where to start looking first. Thanks for the help.

footnlongline

how many hours?

cstello

300 hrs

footnlongline
300 hrs

Put it in drive with the motor box up and see if it is coming from belts, exhaust manifolds, valve covers or lower. You may need someone to drive for you so you can listen. Be careful. BTW what engine, is multi port or TBI?

cstello

Fuel injected 325HP Monsoon

68Slalom

You can only hear it in gear, or you can hear it louder?

cstello

You can only hear it when the boat is in gear.

footnlongline
Fuel injected 325HP Monsoon

Sorry to hear that(just kidding) I see you posted about prop shaft packing. Is it leaking badly or did you try to tighten it? Can this be the source of the sound?

cstello

Could be, I am just looking for ideas. I have not looked at or tightened the stuffing box yet.

68Slalom
You can only hear it when the boat is in gear.

If you are going to trouble shoot it yourself, you may want to get a stethoscope to pin point the noise. Just be careful around any moving parts, check your trans fluid and make sure it's clean and full.