Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 or 23 foot?

Schindawg

I think you need to rank what your priorities are. You say skiing and wakeboarding. No doubt the benefit goes to the 23' for space and storage. I nearly went up to a 23 LSV this spring because like you I found a repo. I looked at it and it too was not very well kept. However they are out there. My current 21' was also a repo. You just have to know what you are looking at. Cleaning is nothing more than elbow grease, not money. Gel scratches and missing or damaged parts is another. Anyway, other than the condition of the boat, my problems with the 23' was losing the ability to have a decent ski wake, and fitting that monster inside of my garage. No way would it fit under a 7' door opening. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you but something to consider. I believe there are some 23 footers out there on the SV23 diamond hull. If so, you should look for those models if you still want a decent ski boat. My SV23 diamond 21' boat is great for skiing, and with ballast and wedge makes a very good wake for boarding. It's just too soon for me to give up that versatility, so no upgrade for me any time soon.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....&page=hulls

I really don't know what the V25 diamond is (2003 wakesetter 23 LSV)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schindawg

• 99response

• WaveMake'nLSV

• UWSkier

I have been very pleased with the HH in my 23 LSV...and I think it is on the V25 Diamond and that has also proven to be a very nice, versatile hull. They had changed quite a bit from 03-04, IIRC Dontknow.gif I have had some Amateur/Outlaw wakeboarders behind it and they raved about the wake...and you can slam it in the water and surf like crazy. Never ski'd behind it but at nearly 30 mph it looks VERY nice. Above 25'ish and EMPTY, the hull lifts out of the water a bit, creating better fuel consumption and a better overall ride, IMHO. I think you can get away with the Monsoon or the HH...I would try for the HH as it won't have to work as hard...but proper "propping" is the key to any boat. I just stumbled onto mine and had done enough research on here, that I pretty much knew what I wanted and was ready to pounce when it came up.

Patience, weedhopper! Drool.gifWhistling.gif

23 XTI is how I would go, I instructed with one for a summer. It creates a good buffer zone from the distracting Kids to the driver, and keeps the spotter from being distracted as well.........just my opinion. 21ft is too small for a family of 6, we have a 21 XTI glad I do because it puts out a good wake with 3 people in it. But a constant 6....gotta go 23. '

Happy hunting.

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I hadn't really considered the Xti at all because I was certain I wanted the v-drive configuration for seating. But, looking at the 23' Xti, it could work with that "buffer" zone. What about engine noise though? Isn't it louder having the mid-engine? I know there's trade-offs for everything, and I don't expect a boat to be quiet per-se, but I'd also like to be able to carry on a conversation while under way without shouting too loudly.

Not to put a fly in the ointment, so to speak...but one thing about the XTI's that I hadn't considered is the fact that if your are skiing, the rear seats are virtually useless b/c as the skit rope off the center pole goes back and forth...it basically "sweeps" just above all the rear seating. Not an issue if you don't intend to ski much, I guess.

Just a thought that you might consider,

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I hadn't really considered the Xti at all because I was certain I wanted the v-drive configuration for seating. But, looking at the 23' Xti, it could work with that "buffer" zone. What about engine noise though? Isn't it louder having the mid-engine? I know there's trade-offs for everything, and I don't expect a boat to be quiet per-se, but I'd also like to be able to carry on a conversation while under way without shouting too loudly.
Not to put a fly in the ointment, so to speak...but one thing about the XTI's that I hadn't considered is the fact that if your are skiing, the rear seats are virtually useless b/c as the skit rope off the center pole goes back and forth...it basically "sweeps" just above all the rear seating. Not an issue if you don't intend to ski much, I guess.

Just a thought that you might consider,

Plus1.gif

Additionally, If you get a Direct drive with an illusion tower you should also keep in mind that the ski rope will be connected to the center pylon and the rope as it moves from side to side, can come in contact with the tower.

Go with the 23 LSV and you'll have no regrets. Overall best family boat Malibu makes, and believe me, your family and friends will LOVE it.

If you get serious about the boat on E-bay, be very cautious about the possibility of the engine having been frozen over the winter. Given the fact that the boat came from CA, the owner might not have winterized it and you could have unseen freeze damage. A good long test drive on the water will tell the story and you can also check the ballast pumps, etc.

If it checks out, $35 grand is a smokin' deal on that boat.

Just to add a different perspective, we had a 23' vdrive boat and downgraded to a 21' vdrive. Main reason for us was that we found the bigger boat was very nice and roomy, but we found that we only had crowds needing that size boat on a couple major holiday weekends/weeks, but every other day of the year it was usually just my wife and couple kids slipping out every other afternoon for wakeboarding. Some weekends the neighbors and/or friends would stop by and we'd have 5 or 6 on our boat. So majority of the year we didn't need the room, plus we have a pontoon boat we use for crowds and other water sports. For us, our number of friends using our boat was pretty low on our priority list and our family didn't require the extra room.

Another reason for the downgrade was that my wife did not like to drive the 23' boat, but loved the 21' foot boat for docking and handling and she liked the smaller boat feel. And she is the one pulling me 99% of the time. If she ain't happy, we ain't happy! :)

But hey, the 23' and above definitely are schweet and the room both in length and width is well worth it if you need it. Plus I like the look of the longer boat personally. Also I'm not a skier, but vdrive interior layout is hard to beat.

Good luck whichever way you go.

You have to raise your voice to talk to people in the back for the XTI, however the people beside you are just as easy to talk to. I personally have never found engine noise a problem, but maybe I am use to it. Good point on the Ski situation, however I assume you would have 2-3 people in the boat if your getting serious about skiing not a whole boat load & remember all pro ski boats are direct drive and you still can use the rear loop hole for pulling. One thing for sure, when I take all the weight out of my boat (21 xti) and only have 2-3 people in it....it handles like a ferarri! Super fun! You don't get the same feeling with a V-drive.

We went with the 23ft boat because our crew is growing. Years ago it was just the 5 of us, now I am married, my sister has a kid, my brother always brings his g/f and we usually have one or two other friends tag along. The first time we had the boat out there were 9 of us in the boat and we didn't feel cramped at all (boat holds 14) and that solidified our decision right then and there. We will rarely ever take the boat out with less then 5 people so the extra size is nice.

Thanks again for all the help everyone! Your opinions were very valuable. I think I'm going to go with a 23', be patient (besides, we had frost here in WI last night - the lakes are still freezing cold!), and wait for the right boat turn up.

how do you guys think the wake would compare between a VLX and a 23LSV wake setter for wake boarding... with all optional ballast and the power wedge?

When I was looking it was for the xti, I found the 2005 with very low hours at a good price so I jumped on it. I love the boat but wish I had the 23' instead of the 21' My situation is (3 young kids). The interior layout works perfect if it's just us but we usually invite some friends and when we do, we can get cramped if we don't limit the occupants to 9 or so. Once everyone is seated and the boat is in motion its fine, but when the boat stops and everyone wants to move around, there are a few congestion areas. I've been on the 23' version several times and its a dramatic difference.

how do you guys think the wake would compare between a VLX and a 23LSV wake setter for wake boarding... with all optional ballast and the power wedge?

I have the 23lsv and my buddy has the vlx and the wake will be just a bit smaller. When the 23 and the 21.6 are set up exactly the same the wake is barely smaller cause of the weight it takes to get the 23 down in the water. Both boats have awesome wakes with ballast full and wedge down. We had ballast full and the wedge down the other day with 8 people in the boat on our 23 and the wake was mid thigh on me(6'2"). It was more then i knew what to do with for sure. We put the wedge up and the wake was still a monster. To me and my wife (and we dont know why) the wake shape is more comfortable on the 23 then the 21.6 when charging it hard. Maybe more rampy? not sure but we prefer the 23 wake. Hope this helps.

Yea thats what i was figuring but its not a big deal to just throw in some lead plates and make up for that... In your opinion is it worth the down size in the wake? i like the looks better as well... and what is your opinion between the surf wakes?

I have had 3 LSVs and 2 VLXs in that order. We down sized because of an early sell of my 06 LSV and my dealer had a VLX on the lot. I planned on getting the LSV in 08 but stayed with the VLX. My son is an advanced rider. And, regularly rides behind the LSV (old and new hull). He prefers the wake behind the VLX. Not to say the LSV is bad. He likes them both. I normally ride with 4-8 people with no problem. But, if I was going to be riding with 7-12 all the time then I would say go with the LSV. But, I am enjoying the gas consumption of the VLX. Less weight, less weight to get a great wake, means less gas. Who knows what I will end up with for 09? Probably another VLX...

Chris, I'm still interested in this boat at Skier's Pier with the LS1

http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_detail...&veh=784274

Can you explain your thoughts on why the LS1 is not good in a V-drive? Too much torque? I'm wondering why Malibu would sell it that way if it had issues. Do newer boats with the Monsoons have tougher transmissions? Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!

Dan

I would shy away from the LS1 motor, not a good match up in a V-drive.

-Chris

The LS1 has its place in a boat like a sporty or a response where a barefooter would love those high revs the motor provided (reved to something scary, like 6k). A sporty with a vette motor is a scary fun boat!

In a v-drive you want that low end torque that this motor wasn't really designed to make, a boat with a monsoon will pull just as hard out of the hole, same problems at wakeboarding speeds. Not a bad motor, just not the right motor for the v-drive boats (and was a huge waste for the large upcharge, but you don't care about that)

Also the maintaince is more involved with these motors.

But it seems like a pretty nice boat, I'm guessing with the purple you can get a pretty good deal on it too.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. That makes sense. I'll keep looking for a 340 or higher Monsoon on a 23 footer, but if I could get this for $25k or under, I may be tempted to go with it anyway. Been trolling the usual sites and not seeing a whole lot out there at the moment....

Dan

The LS1 has its place in a boat like a sporty or a response where a barefooter would love those high revs the motor provided (reved to something scary, like 6k). A sporty with a vette motor is a scary fun boat!

In a v-drive you want that low end torque that this motor wasn't really designed to make, a boat with a monsoon will pull just as hard out of the hole, same problems at wakeboarding speeds. Not a bad motor, just not the right motor for the v-drive boats (and was a huge waste for the large upcharge, but you don't care about that)

Also the maintaince is more involved with these motors.

But it seems like a pretty nice boat, I'm guessing with the purple you can get a pretty good deal on it too.

-Chris

You'll never look around the interior of your 23LSV and say, "Gee, I wish I didn't buy that extra two feet.."

As the kids get older space will become even more important. I'd say 23' minimum for your gang.

I have a family of 4 and we love our new 23LSV. We had a 20' Four Winns before, and it always felt cramped...

Mike

Ok... so I'm leaning 23' here. Thanks for all the replies so far. Anyone want to give an opinion on this boat I found on ebay? Less than 100 hrs, every option I want, and reserve is $35k including a 5,000 lb lift and only 3 hrs drive from me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=110256154414

Thanks again!

You'll never look around the interior of your 23LSV and say, "Gee, I wish I didn't buy that extra two feet.."

As the kids get older space will become even more important. I'd say 23' minimum for your gang.

I have a family of 4 and we love our new 23LSV. We had a 20' Four Winns before, and it always felt cramped...

Mike

I would!

I love my 20ft VTX because it is big enough to haul as many as I would ever want in my boat, plus it still skiis great. So, it all depends on what you are going to use the boat for. I absolutely NO reason or desire to have a 23ft boat.

Edited by mrothwell

I bought a used Sunscape 23 LSV with the LS1 and after 2 seasons we love the boat. We are not competition level boarders, skiers, or surfers. But we use the boat for all the above plus just cruising to mates places on the lake. I would not hesitate to tell you the 23 is a good size for a family we stay out all day and the extra space is always utilized. In regards to the LS1 I am not a mechanic but I maintain the engine myself with no problems. Not as easy as an older model chevy engine but not scary. If you find a good deal don't be afraid of the LS1--but don't let someone upcharge you for it.

Good Luck and I think you will not regret any boat that you get to spend time on with family!

We have the 23XTi with the monsoon and have no regrets. The diamond hull(with ballast and wedge) is plenty of wake for all but the elite riders and its better for skiing. My kids love the boat. I found the price to be fair as well on the XTi.