Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Misfire

So we were at the lake this weekend and running low on fuel. Stopped at the local marina and put in 15 gallons of 87. Boat was running good for a little bit then started misfiring when throttling up. The guy at the marina told me their tanks were low from all the boats on the lake this weekend and he only had 150 gallons left in his tank. Do you guys think it is just bad gas? It only happened a couple of times then we trailered the boat. I pulled the fuel filter and it seemed to be ok (no water). I normally run high octane and add additive before sitting on trailer a couple of weeks. Should I just fill up with high octane before going out again and see what happens or should I check something else before??

Thanks in advance for your input

AF1

:unsure:

So we were at the lake this weekend and running low on fuel. Stopped at the local marina and put in 15 gallons of 87. Boat was running good for a little bit then started misfiring when throttling up. The guy at the marina told me their tanks were low from all the boats on the lake this weekend and he only had 150 gallons left in his tank. Do you guys think it is just bad gas? It only happened a couple of times then we trailered the boat. I pulled the fuel filter and it seemed to be ok (no water). I normally run high octane and add additive before sitting on trailer a couple of weeks. Should I just fill up with high octane before going out again and see what happens or should I check something else before??

AF1

:unsure:Mad.gif:biteme:

Once again no help.... I guess I will figure it out myself.

Thanks in advance for the non input

AF1

AF1

I would check all your plugs first before going out again, I have found that most misfires end up being electrical. (plug, wire or corrosion)

Hope that helps and give us a chance to respond, you'll see people will step up :)

AF1

I would check all your plugs first before going out again, I have found that most misfires end up being electrical. (plug, wire or corrosion)

Hope that helps and give us a chance to respond, you'll see people will step up :)

I have also been running with no thermostat. Have one ordered.... I think thast is the running rich problem. I ordered spare impeller, plugs and thermostat. Along with fake a lake so I can play with it in the drive way after installing everything.

Thanks for finally getting some advice!!

AF1

Beer.gif

Now I am off to the pool with the kids...... Thanks again

post-6526-1212066162_thumb.jpg

post-6526-1212066162_thumb.jpg

Is your motor fuel injected or carbed? Info like this helps with answers, otherwise we're just quessing.

Is your motor fuel injected or carbed? Info like this helps with answers, otherwise we're just quessing.

being a 94' it should be TBI? and running without a thermostat most definitely will make it run rich is my guess!

being a 94' it should be TBI? and running without a thermostat most definitely will make it run rich is my guess!

I was looking to see if he has an ECM.

Which site are you looking on if you don't mind me asking?

Funny

Funny

LOL :)

carbed..

AF1

If you dont mind me asking whaty does TBI stand for?

AF1 Dontknow.gif

post-6526-1212066258_thumb.jpg

Attached is a photo of the engine. Does the thermostat install in the oval shaped cap on top or do I have to remove the main block that all the hoses come into? Thanks

AF1 Rockon.gif

Attached is a photo of the engine. Does the thermostat install in the oval shaped cap on top or do I have to remove the main block that all the hoses come into? Thanks

AF1 Rockon.gif

Another question: will I have to have my carb adjusted after installing the thermostat?

Thanks

AF1

AF1 Rockon.gif

I think that is correct.

AF1 Rockon.gif

Another question: will I have to have my carb adjusted after installing the thermostat?

Thanks

AF1

Actually if you don't know that last time it was adjusted, YES. You may need some help with that if your not sure how to check your fuel ratio.

Guess I was wrong again Whistling.gif

AF1 Rockon.gif

Thanks

AF1

Actually if you don't know that last time it was adjusted, YES. You may need some help with that if your not sure how to check your fuel ratio.

So basically the carb was more than likely adjusted to run without the thermostat? And if I install I will have to make adjustments. How do you check fuel ratio mixtures? Is this something I can do on my own or should I take to dealer?

AF1

AF1 Rockon.gif

Thanks

AF1

Now that I start to think about it the thermostat is a part of the cooling system not the fuel system so in theory I should not have to make any adjustments to the carb if I install a thermostat right??

So basically the carb was more than likely adjusted to run without the thermostat? And if I install I will have to make adjustments. How do you check fuel ratio mixtures? Is this something I can do on my own or should I take to dealer?

AF1

When my motor started back firing/bogging, I tried a lot of different fixes. In the end, I had the carb rebuilt and haven't had a problem in the 3 years since.

My problem would not replicate itself on the fake a lake. Typically, it wouldn't backfire or bog out until the skier/footer/boarder said "hit it". It went on for a whole summer, not knowing if it would run good or not.

The person who rebuilt my carb said it looked OK. He didn't find anything unusual.

AF1 Rockon.gif

Thanks

AF1

AF1

Normally you would adjust it with a vacuum gauge! If it's something you have never done before I wouldn't mess with it, but your main indication of the motor running rich or lean are your plugs.

Edited by 68Slalom

I have been told that running rich could be caused by running w/o thermostat because it is running so cold. Also, it will burn more fuel.

I filled the boat up yesterday with high octane and additive mix. The thermostat and plugs won't be in until early next week, so I'll run it as is this weekend and see if the problem still exists.

I am thinking I should not have to adjust carb when I install thermostat because the thermostat is the cooling system not related to fuel system. If the boat runs fine I will save the plugs for spares when needed.

The thermostat should be 160 degree for the 350 5.7 correct?

USA.gif

In my older boats I have always run 180 degree thermostats, it doesn't hurt them to run at 170+ I don't know what Malibu uses from the factor for those engines and that year. The dealer should know or maybe you can find it in the manual?