Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yellow Hull stains at waterline

All:

We had a great boating weekend out at Rocky Fork lake here in SE Ohio. The boat ran great, and everyone had a fun time. I pulled the boat out of the water each night and put it back on the trailer, rather than let it sit in the water, because I am a neat freak and don't want to risk any dock rash. When I pulled the boat out yesterday and wiped it down before the trip back home, I noticed there were some dull yellowish stains on the hull running surface, on the bow primarily. Sort of a dingy yellow color. I washed the boat with soap and water and they did not come off. So I put a little "gold class" paste wax on a sponge and went to work. Nothing - the wax did not remove the stains. I tried some meguires cleaner wax liquid - same thing, no effect. What the heck???

Do I move up the "harshness" scale of cleaning wax products, or am I missing something? The lake's pretty clean - even with the mud runoff from all our rain - so not sure what the deal is. Another boat that was out with us did not have this issue, so it's not water quality.

Thanks,

-- Mike

MalibuNation
All:

We had a great boating weekend out at Rocky Fork lake here in SE Ohio. The boat ran great, and everyone had a fun time. I pulled the boat out of the water each night and put it back on the trailer, rather than let it sit in the water, because I am a neat freak and don't want to risk any dock rash. When I pulled the boat out yesterday and wiped it down before the trip back home, I noticed there were some dull yellowish stains on the hull running surface, on the bow primarily. Sort of a dingy yellow color. I washed the boat with soap and water and they did not come off. So I put a little "gold class" paste wax on a sponge and went to work. Nothing - the wax did not remove the stains. I tried some meguires cleaner wax liquid - same thing, no effect. What the heck???

Do I move up the "harshness" scale of cleaning wax products, or am I missing something? The lake's pretty clean - even with the mud runoff from all our rain - so not sure what the deal is. Another boat that was out with us did not have this issue, so it's not water quality.

Thanks,

-- Mike

50% Hydrogen Peroxide 50% Lyson Toliet Bowl Clean (not the one with Chlorine) ... hope I haven't misspelled any words. Put it in a spray bottle and be careful not to get it on the trailer.

Edited by MalibuNation

We have the same issue.

When we mix this and spary it on, do we scrub then wash? Or just spray and wash? Repolish when done?

thanks

We have the same issue.

When we mix this and spary it on, do we scrub then wash? Or just spray and wash? Repolish when done?

thanks

Plus1.gif Yup, that's all I do.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPRAY IT AROUND OR ON ANY METAL PARTS!!! i.e. Stainless Steel cleats, prop, rudder, fins, shaft or strut if you have SS gear. Dont' let it get on the Nibral either.

Edited by areamike
MalibuNation
We have the same issue.

thanks

Let it set for awhile.

We have the same issue.

thanks

BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPRAY IT AROUND OR ON ANY METAL PARTS!!! i.e. Stainless Steel cleats, prop, rudder, fins, shaft or strut if you have SS gear. Dont' let it get on the Nibral either.

Thanks, guys. I'll give that a whirl this weekend and see how it goes. Since it is primarily on the bow area, it should not be a problem to spray it on and keep it off the SS/running gear/trailer.

So I spray it on, let it sit and wash it off? Or do I scrub it with a brush or sponge?

-- Mike

We have the same issue.

thanks

Thanks, guys. I'll give that a whirl this weekend and see how it goes. Since it is primarily on the bow area, it should not be a problem to spray it on and keep it off the SS/running gear/trailer.

So I spray it on, let it sit and wash it off? Or do I scrub it with a brush or sponge?

-- Mike

Most areas will just rinse off, but tougher areas I use a mild scrub brush and then rinse off. It works on the Willamette scum very nicely.

Holy cow. I just used that mixture and a brown waterline stain I have suffered for three years wiped right off! I had anchored my boat for three days in the ohio river a hundred yards from the new stadium and I could never get the stain off...that river is #@&*in filthy! Thanks for the formula

While I was doing this on my boat last year, I accidentally dripped some on my sidewalk and didn't wash it right away. It ate through about an eighth of an inch of cement! I wouldn't leave it on the gelcoat for too long! It doesn't seem to take too long to work, though.

+1 on the toilet bowl cleaner though I was told when I bought it not to use a spray bottle because it's very dangerous to your health to atomize acid. If it's airborne it can be inhaled. That stuff is really caustic.

Put it in a bucket, wipe on with a sponge or car wash mitt, rinse with hose very well. Wax after to protect the gelcoat.

Holy cow. I just used that mixture and a brown waterline stain I have suffered for three years wiped right off! I had anchored my boat for three days in the ohio river a hundred yards from the new stadium and I could never get the stain off...that river is #@&*in filthy! Thanks for the formula

Gary, you just have to time the mighty ohio right. Last summer with little rain, I could see my feet as clear as if I were in Cumberland or Norris - the water quality was excellent. If it's been raining, stay clear until the nasty flows downriver to the mississippi! :-)

-- Mike