Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do I need to do Fuel Filter change?

Can someone help me please? I found a couple threads on fuel filter change but they were contradictory and confusing. I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXI with Fuel Injected Monsoon. I would like to change the filter. Is there two? If so what PN and where are they? Any pictures would be very very welcome as I am totally ignorant re filter type and location. (I bought this boat new in 2001 and have 553 hours on it. It still looks like new.)

I have 2 on my 01 Monsoon.

One is the high pressure filter which is located after the fuel pump. You have to relive the pressure in the system before chaning this one unless you want a gasoline shower. Relieve the pressure at the valve on the fuel rail.

The other is a low pressure filter which will be under the floor behind the motor box or it could also be mounted in the trunk and you will have to remove the vertical pannel closest to the stern of the boat to access it.

www.skidim.com will have what you need (call them and they can get the part numbers too)

-Chris

Edited by 99response

the low pressure one on the floor you should only need a screwdriver and something to catch the little bit of fuel in the line from. I'd also disconnect the battery while working on things.

I am a little confused guys. I just bought a Wix 33033 for 3/8" line. Its a little silver canister with a tube sticking out each end. Is this one the "in-line" unit? and does it go on the gas tank behind the trunk panel in back? Is this the "low pressure" one?

What is the high pressure one? Where does it go and what is the part number?

Thanks -

One is the high pressure filter which is located after the fuel pump. You have to relive the pressure in the system before chaning this one unless you want a gasoline shower. Relieve the pressure at the valve on the fuel rail.

The other is a low pressure filter which will be under the floor behind the motor box or it could also be mounted in the trunk and you will have to remove the vertical pannel closest to the stern of the boat to access it.

www.skidim.com will have what you need (call them and they can get the part numbers too)

-Chris

I am a little confused guys. I just bought a Wix 33033 for 3/8" line. Its a little silver canister with a tube sticking out each end. Is this one the "in-line" unit? and does it go on the gas tank behind the trunk panel in back? Is this the "low pressure" one?

Thanks -

The one you're describing is the low-pressure filter. On my iRide it's located behind the engine box right next to the muffler (always wondered if this was safe). It takes about 5 minutes to replace with a screwdriver, but as mentioned you should have something to catch the little bit of fuel that will come out.

I've never replaced the high pressure one. Didn't even know there was one until this thread, so I can't help you there.

Thanks -

You may want to take it to the dealer, I don't think they would take very long to do this and charge you more than an hour labor.

Edit: There is also a specific direction for flow, it should be identified on the housing with an arrow.

Edited by 68Slalom

Closest dealer is an hour and a half away. Not worth it. I will figure it out eventually but I know someone on this site has the answers.

let's try again...

Your high pressure filter is located after your fuel pump, the pump creates the high pressure in the lines. If you can't find the fuel pump follow the black 3/8" fuel line from the gas tank or by the mufflers. You then hit a fancy looking black thing with a couple wires coming out of it, keep going past that and you'll hit the high pressure filter, its about 5" tall and 2" in diameter. You have to take off the pressure in the system before you change this one or lots of fuel will spray all over you and the boat, the valve is right by the fuel rail. Remove the part and bring it to NAPA to have them find the part number or just buy one here

Your low pressure "in line" filter (the wix 3033) will be before the fuel pump either by the mufflers or in the trunk of your boat, it will be behind the vertical pannel furthest back (toward the stern) of the boat.

I'm guessing if you haven't changed the filters you will probably also need spark plugs, a cap and rotor, and an impeller too.

-Chris

Edited by 99response

Thanks, that is pretty descriptive. I do the impeller every year or two and keep a spare on board at all times. Just never did the fuel filters. Had a shop change them a couple times in the past. Just figured I could use this site to learn a few things and do it myself. Never did the cap and rotor though. The boat still runs like new...no hesitations or problems, so never felt I needed to do the rotor. Is that easy to do? Just buy standard GM 350 rotor?

Don't go crazy searching for the second fuel filter, as it may not exist! Here is some communication I had with Indmar several years ago:

Hi,

I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXi w/ Monsoon. (production April, 2001). I have a friend who has the same model year boat & engine that was built in July or August 2000. My friend's boat has 2 fuel filters- one near the tank and another near the fuel pump. My boat only has the one filter back near the tank. The fuel lines running from the pump to the injector rails are different on our boats.

Is there a reason why one boat would have 2 fuel filters and the other, seemingly identical boat, only has 1 fuel filter? Is it possible, or practical to add the second fuel filter?

Thanks,

John

John,

There was a running change that eliminated the fuel filter that was between the fuel pump and fuel rail. That filter was not really necessary since the boat had a filter and the fuel pump itself has a screen that was actually finer that the fuel filter on the outlet side of the pump. You could add the filter but it probably wouldn’t do anything for you. We have been running all of our engines for several years without this filter and have had no difficulties.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service – Indmar

If you have questions on any other maintenance/service items such as cap & rotor, contact skidim and they will walk you through everything you might need.

I bet you'll be suprised how much corrosion can be up in the cap, usually the rotor is ok but I replace anyway, they are just ACDELCO parts. I usually flip a couple boat a season so I just automatically replace fuel filters, cap, rotor, impeller, spark plugs, belt, and fluid changes. About $125 for peace of mind.

-Chris

I changed the fuel filter in back. very easy. just a pain in the arse to pull the panel out. Thanks fror the help