Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Post-lake wipe down

Hey all,

I was wondering what everyone uses to wipe down their fiberglass after a day on the water? I know Babes is a popular brand, is there anything or brand I should consider?

Also, what product from that brand?

thanks!

I use a mixture of vineger and water. Spray on like windex and wipe off. Works great for water spots.

Plus1.gif

I use a mixture of vineger and water. Spray on like windex and wipe off. Works great for water spots.

Plus1.gif

Good advice, I have been trying to get water spots off with no luck. Will definently try the vinegar/water mix!

AF1

I use the absorber synthetic chamois - takes the water spots off great, and also works wonders cleaning up wet seats or anything else you need dried. Beats the heck out of wiping things down with a towel, since you just wring it out when you're done.

No need to spray anything on - give it a shot, you can pick one up at your local auto-parts joint

We use the absorber chamois to wipe the boat down works great. If the spots have been there and wont come off with a wipe down or a bath then we break out the babes spot solver, takes them all off in less then a min.

If you use the water/vinegar solution it will strip wax. Just make sure you wax often. I use Hot Sauce. I'm pretty sure it's got some vinegar in it as well, but also has liquid wax too. Boat looks freshly waxed after the wipedown.

Vinegar straight might take wax off but the water dilutes the vinegar. Vinegar/Water is all of used on my boats over the years and my boats have always looked new. Vinegar/Water wipe off with a chamois.

We use the absorber chamois to wipe the boat down works great. If the spots have been there and wont come off with a wipe down or a bath then we break out the babes spot solver, takes them all off in less then a min.

+1

The absorber works wonders. Never mildews/molds either. I've had my current 2 Absorbers for going on 6 seasons now. OUTSTANDING product.

Babes is the best I have found. My 2005 still looks like it did the day I brought it home.

Where would I buy Babes?

AF1

I use the absorber synthetic chamois - takes the water spots off great, and also works wonders cleaning up wet seats or anything else you need dried. Beats the heck out of wiping things down with a towel, since you just wring it out when you're done.

No need to spray anything on - give it a shot, you can pick one up at your local auto-parts joint

+1

we don't spray on anything

If you use the water/vinegar solution it will strip wax. Just make sure you wax often. I use Hot Sauce. I'm pretty sure it's got some vinegar in it as well, but also has liquid wax too. Boat looks freshly waxed after the wipedown.

For that reason is why I only use bottled water and a clean towel, follow it up when I get home with boat bright! I usually use the vinegar at the end of the year when the water spots are really bad on the black, then follow it with a wax. Which reminds me, it's that time of the year again.

For that reason is why I only use bottled water and a clean towel, follow it up when I get home with boat bright! I usually use the vinegar at the end of the year when the water spots are really bad on the black, then follow it with a wax. Which reminds me, it's that time of the year again.

I have used a product called protectol. It is avail. at places like camping world and rv stores. I wipe down the boat first and then apply the protectol. It is advertised as a cleaner (removes the water spots, and then puts on a spray wax). Then the next time you use it, it removes the old protectol (dirt and all) and then applies a new coat of wax. I have used it on the boat for years and it seems to work well with little physical effort.

Babes is the best I have found. My 2005 still looks like it did the day I brought it home.

Where would I buy Babes?

AF1

look at thier website, they have a dealer loc that well find the store near you, or buy online.

<a href="http://www.babesboats.com/locator.php?state=TX" target="_blank">http://www.babesboats.com/locator.php?state=TX</a>

If you cant find it at a local store then give Water Ski America in dallas a call.(972-620-2377) They are GREAT guys to deal with and would be happy to help you out.

Edited by txwakejunkie

We use Meguiars Quick Detailer. Spray it on right at the ramp and wipe it off. It's just like waxing the boat each time. Thumbup.gif

Regardless of what you use, it will be a whole lot more effective if you start with a good base that's got a fresh coat of wax on it. Take the following with a grain of salt - I'm extremely picky with regard to the products that I use, & having a dark hull makes that anal-retentiveness worse. The midnight blue gel is almost (by a hair) as bad as black.

I've tried many of them over the years - Meguiar's Quick Detailer (not a fan, it required too much buffing for the results that you get), Eagle One Wax As U Dry (pretty good in a pinch), water/vinegar combo (even watered down it stripped wax in my case, so I only use it prior to a good detail), Meguiar's Water Spot Remover (not sure, but it might be exactly the same formula as their Quick Detailer), & Babe's to name a few. (I'm not a fan of the chamois, but to each their own. I prefer the microfiber detailing towels.) Babe's worked the best that I've found, particularly if you use it on the boat after you wax it before even taking it to the lake. It sort of "builds up" to prevent spotting, & wiping down on the ramp is easier than with the other products. It also extends the time in between waxings IMO, something that most of the other products didn't do. The only thing that I've found that works better is straight (full strength) vinegar, & sometimes that's necessary depending on the type of water that we've been on/in. The rentalake is particularly bad, full strength vinegar is the only stuff that I've seen that will touch those water spots & even then the boat needs a good polish & detail after a weekend of that treatment. JMO of course.

Plus1.gif I Don't leave home without it and have been using the same one for 5 years, I can't imagine not having one

We use Meguiars Quick Detailer. Spray it on right at the ramp and wipe it off. It's just like waxing the boat each time. Thumbup.gif

Same here works GREAT Plus1.gif

Regardless of what you use, it will be a whole lot more effective if you start with a good base that's got a fresh coat of wax on it. Take the following with a grain of salt - I'm extremely picky with regard to the products that I use, & having a dark hull makes that anal-retentiveness worse. The midnight blue gel is almost (by a hair) as bad as black.

I've tried many of them over the years - Meguiar's Quick Detailer (not a fan, it required too much buffing for the results that you get), Eagle One Wax As U Dry (pretty good in a pinch), water/vinegar combo (even watered down it stripped wax in my case, so I only use it prior to a good detail), Meguiar's Water Spot Remover (not sure, but it might be exactly the same formula as their Quick Detailer), & Babe's to name a few. (I'm not a fan of the chamois, but to each their own. I prefer the microfiber detailing towels.) Babe's worked the best that I've found, particularly if you use it on the boat after you wax it before even taking it to the lake. It sort of "builds up" to prevent spotting, & wiping down on the ramp is easier than with the other products. It also extends the time in between waxings IMO, something that most of the other products didn't do. The only thing that I've found that works better is straight (full strength) vinegar, & sometimes that's necessary depending on the type of water that we've been on/in. The rentalake is particularly bad, full strength vinegar is the only stuff that I've seen that will touch those water spots & even then the boat needs a good polish & detail after a weekend of that treatment. JMO of course.

Good info...That kinda sums it up!

Babe's Boat Bright for me. Keeps the wax on the boat and after a few wipings w/ vinegar and water I can start to tell that my wax base on my Bu is getting a bit less shiny. Don't seem to have that prob w/ the Babe's