Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP with steering cable P/N

Hi everyone,

Well I have read a number of great posts with regards to hard to steer, stiff steering cables. I confirmed that I need a new steering cable this past weekend. I removed the cable from the rudder end...Rudder turns freely. Removed the rack mount end from the steering wheel...Turns with ease. Therefore it needs a cable. I lubed it but its no better. BUT I can not find the part number on it anywhere visible and don't want to take it out before I have a new one to put in because I don't want to miss any water time.

From reading other posts and looking on different websites I am pretty sure I need a Teleflex P/N SSC13415 for my 2003 Sportster LX. Has anyone else changed a Sportster cable recently and do you remember the P/N???

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

I have searched both ends as far as I can see and cannot see a P/N. I was hoping someone else had changed a Sportster cable and could remember P/N. I pretty sure 13415 will do it but want to be certain.

Is the cable still on the boat? If so the number is probably on the bottom side of the cable. You might take a mirror and look under it.

Its not gonna be very easy to find without pulling a good part of it out. We just changed out one on a vlx and we didn't get to the part # until it was abou halfway out. May be different on yours though, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in the same spots. Just keep looking, you'll find it, but like mentinoed above, a small mirror may be your friend

I was hoping someone else had changed a Sportster cable and could remember P/N. I pretty sure 13415 will do it but want to be certain.

It's been a couple years so I don't remember off the top of my head. I'll look tomorrow after work if one else has responded by then. The 13415 sounds familiar and I want to say it was 19' but I'll confirm.

I have found the number up under the dash side. Take off the gear box and start looking all round the cable and into the hull. That and call Skidim.com great people and they should know the part # if you can't find it.

I was hoping someone else had changed a Sportster cable and could remember P/N. I pretty sure 13415 will do it but want to be certain.

It's been a couple years so I don't remember off the top of my head. I'll look tomorrow after work if one else has responded by then. The 13415 sounds familiar and I want to say it was 19' but I'll confirm.

the last 2 digits are the length. So, if it was a 19ft cable, then the 13415 is not correct. I believe it was a 19ft cable on my SSLxi, and cant imagine that the sporty would be 4ft shorter.

The cable is stamped within 18 inches of either end of the cable.

the last 2 digits are the length. So, if it was a 19ft cable, then the 13415 is not correct. I believe it was a 19ft cable on my SSLxi, and cant imagine that the sporty would be 4ft shorter.

The cable is stamped within 18 inches of either end of the cable.

The 13415 is the model number. The cable jacket has the 13415 number on it but nothing after that (at least on the rudder end of the cable). At the helm end of the cable it heads down the dash column right after the rack and I don't feel like disassembling that thing tonight.

I'll see if I can't find the receipt from www.boatfix.com or possibly they have archived purchase history information. I'll see what I can find.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Never mind...I just saw in the other thread confirmation that it is 15'. :unsure: I thought that it was longer than that but what do I know? Dontknow.gif

Thanks a lot NorCalibu. 13415 helps me a ton. I am going to order that cable and I will let ypou know when I get it changed. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond...I mean everyone...this is a fantasic site.

Kevin

I thought that it was longer than that but what do I know? Dontknow.gif
too easy Whistling.gif

:Doh:

Well at least the dim wit on the other coast wasn't quick enough to pick up on it. :lol:

Rushman - Order that cable from www.boatfix.com. I looked around a lot and they were the best price and not by a little bit. Quick shipping too.

Thanks a lot NorCalibu. 13415 helps me a ton. I am going to order that cable and I will let you know when I get it changed. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond...I mean everyone...this is a fantastic site.

Kevin

Don't pull the old cable out until you have the new one. It had been mentioned several times in other threads to use the old cable as a cable puller to pull the new one into the correct space.

If you have to pull it before, pull a strong line through when pulling the old cable out.

I thought that it was longer than that but what do I know? Dontknow.gif
too easy Whistling.gif

:Doh:

Well at least the dim wit on the other coast wasn't quick enough to pick up on it. :lol:

Yeah Jack has been slacking off in his old age, we've all had to pick up the slack

Thanks a lot NorCalibu. 13415 helps me a ton. I am going to order that cable and I will let you know when I get it changed. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond...I mean everyone...this is a fantastic site.

Kevin

Don't pull the old cable out until you have the new one. It had been mentioned several times in other threads to use the old cable as a cable puller to pull the new one into the correct space.

If you have to pull it before, pull a strong line through when pulling the old cable out.

No worries, I do plan to pull a rope or something strong through with the old cable and then use it as a "fish tape" to pull the new cable in.

Maybe it's different on your Sunsetter Dontknow.gif but on a Sporty the old cable has to come out first (use a piece of rope for a puller for the new one). You can't pull the rack through No.gif no way, no how. You have to pull it out from under the dash and then reinsert the rudder end at the under dash point.

One thing I had to do...the hole in the stringer (right near the motor mount) where the cable enters into the hollow stringer had to be enlarged slightly. Not sure how they got the steering cable end nut through there in the first place but I got tired of fighting it and just enlarged the hole slightly with my Dremel. Thumbup.gif Mucho mas facil.