Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Speedo Pickup

Hi everyone,

We have a 1998 Malibu Response LX. Being in Canada, we have to store our boat for the winter; the place where we stored it this winter accidentally broke one of the speedo pickups.

Unfortunately, apparently the company that used to make this particular model (AirGuide) has gone out of business. The replacement pickup sent to our dealer by Malibu does not have the same mounting holes as the original pickups. The original pickups had two screws, one on either side of the bracket that mounted to the back of the boat. The new pickup have three screws in a triangular orientation, with one in the middle at the top and two at the bottom corners.

So, in order to mount the replacement pickup we will need to:

1) Fill in the existing screw holes in the hull

2) Drill three new screw holes in the hull

3) Seal everything up properly

What do we need to keep in mind when going about this to ensure we don't damage our hull or the gelcoat any more than we have to?

-Aikon

Send me a p.m. with your name & address. If shipping to Canada doesn't cost a fortune I have a new in the package Air Guide with 2 screw holes that I'll send you.

Send me a p.m. with your name & address. If shipping to Canada doesn't cost a fortune I have a new in the package Air Guide with 2 screw holes that I'll send you.

If he doesn't want it or if any one else has a airgluide pickup. I have the same thing happen to me last month. I have been looking for one and willing pay the shipping. My email is [email protected]

• 3 years later...

I need either one or two of these old style speedo pickups, with the two screws.

Does anyone know where to find them?

98 Sunsetter LX

Thanks,

The new style with the three holes is a far superior design as far as reliablity.

I did NOT have to redrill the boat to replace my old ones with the new style. I had to cut off the top mounting tab and hole to make it fit my transom. Then just elongate the other two holes in the new pickup outward and start both screws before tightening either one. Been working for two seasons now with no issue and no extra holes.

Totally easy to do and much more accurate readings. Also, never clogged a new one yet, and our lake always has scum and debris in it.

The new style with the three holes is a far superior design as far as reliablity.

I did NOT have to redrill the boat to replace my old ones with the new style. I had to cut off the top mounting tab and hole to make it fit my transom. Then just elongate the other two holes in the new pickup outward and start both screws before tightening either one. Been working for two seasons now with no issue and no extra holes.

Totally easy to do and much more accurate readings. Also, never clogged a new one yet, and our lake always has scum and debris in it.