Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission issue (neighbor)

Neighbor has an '05 23LSV Sunscape. Just heard from him that the boat will not go into gear and move. Engine starts fine. But when they had the boat on the lift and started the engine and put it into gear, the prop doesn't move and they heard grinding. .. no smells or burning. Prop is there, driveshaft is there, they didn't hit anything...

any ideas? the closest shop is like 3 hours away from here.

He didn't back it off the lift, he just started it up breifly and put it into gear to see if there was prop rotation or not. Spoke to someone else who said the culprit is most likely the vdrive plate breaking. There was a ton of oil in below the vdrive. He said it was very common in '05's for that to happen.

Pretty easy to figure out...does the V-drive output spin at all? Also check the oil level in the V-drive. Make sure the tranny is going into and out of gear at the transmission.

If the V-drive spins and the shaft doesn't it could be something as simple as a shaft keyway.

I towed my boat down to the water this weekend, started right up, launched my brother with the boat, parked the truck and wondered why is wasn't coming to pick me up. The prop wasn't spinning when the boat went into and out of gear. First I checked teh shifter, then the transmission end, ended up at the vdrive where I noticed it was spinning and the shaft was not. Turns out the keyway in the shaft coupling had sheared off. Ruined our afternoon but thankfully was a 10 cent fix.

-Chris