Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What does the Wedge Do?

nemalibu

Hello All:

My boat has a plate for the manual wedge but no wedge (yet). My understanding is that I can add the manual wedge for about $500 (and probably do it myself).

My question is what will the wedge do? From what I have read, the manual wedge mostly changes the shape of the wake, not the size.

1. Is it correct that the manual wedge will mostly change the shape of the wake, not the size?

2. What change does it make in the wake shape? Does the manual wedge make the wake more "rampy", or steeper?

Hello All:

My boat has a plate for the manual wedge but no wedge (yet). My understanding is that I can add the manual wedge for about $500 (and probably do it myself).

My question is what will the wedge do? From what I have read, the manual wedge mostly changes the shape of the wake, not the size.

1. Is it correct that the manual wedge will mostly change the shape of the wake, not the size?

2. What change does it make in the wake shape? Does the manual wedge make the wake more "rampy", or steeper?

My un-scientific experience (haven't put a ruler on the wake)....is that the wedge hauls the stern lower in the water and creates both a larger (bigger) wake as well as crafts a steeper ramp from which to launch and then worry about the intended flight! We used our manual wedge on our Sunsetter and now love the Power Wedge on our xTi.

I've got the old-style manual wedge on my '06 21 LSV. It definitely makes the wake bigger.

It'll also have an adverse effect on handling and fuel consumption, but it's almost a must if

you've got someone who wants to advance at wakeboarding.

Having said that, there are those who prefer their wakes shaped with ballast alone [without

the wedge] because of personal preferences on what the wedge does to the shape of the

wake. My guess, however, is that most wakeboarders use a combination of ballast and

the wedge to create their "ideal" wake. YMMV.

Hello All:

We have a 23 LSV (not a waksetter, so no ballast) and added the manual wedge. Huge difference in wake shape and size. Can't do a compare between wedge and ballast, but can definitely tell you three is a difference in size and shape - bigger wake and more ramp.

Hello All:

We have a 23 LSV (not a waksetter, so no ballast) and added the manual wedge. Huge difference in wake shape and size. Can't do a compare between wedge and ballast, but can definitely tell you three is a difference in size and shape - bigger wake and more ramp.

Sounds like your summary would be: it is definately worth the $500.

I am definitely in the minority here so take it for what it's worth. But while the Wedge increases size & shape of the wake, it also makes the boat perform like crrrrraaaap. It doesn't turn well, doesn't accelerate well, burns a ton more fuel, makes the boat porpoise like crazy at speeds we ride, etc. We ride foils at 25 - 27 mph & weighted the boat does great, nice wake, good performance, etc. But with the Wedge down, everything goes down hill in a hurry.

After reading about all the problems people on this group had with the Wedges breaking, I pulled it off the boat & it's sitting on the shelf in the garage.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
I am definitely in the minority here so take it for what it's worth. But while the Wedge increases size & shape of the wake, it also makes the boat perform like crrrrraaaap. It doesn't turn well, doesn't accelerate well, burns a ton more fuel, makes the boat porpoise like crazy at speeds we ride, etc. We ride foils at 25 - 27 mph & weighted the boat does great, nice wake, good performance, etc. But with the Wedge down, everything goes down hill in a hurry.

After reading about all the problems people on this group had with the Wedges breaking, I pulled it off the boat & it's sitting on the shelf in the garage.

Is it a manual wedge? Do you want to sell it?

hmm... now you got me thinkin'.

Bill, does it do these things when stowed or only when deployed? in other words, does it affect performance only when it is down or did you notice a performance issue even when folded pu? Might be easy enough to remove / replace if we aren't seriously boarding and reinstall when we are...

I don't think there is any problems when the Wedge is up..... it's only when it's deployed.

I am keeping the Wedge for when/if I sell the boat. Their popular enough with the board crowd that it should help keep resale value up a bit.

I just threw that 2 cents out for anyone who is not strictly into boarding. I'm not sure how the Wedge effects things for the surfers (who go much slower), but the foil riders who ride much faster than wakeboard speeds will find that the boat performs a LOT better with just weight on board. I run just the stock 900 lbs & love it. And most of the boarders who have been with us are a bit intimidated by the weighted wake anyway.

Can't speak for the manual wedge, but power wedge is something I use to shape the wake after using ballast. I wakeboard & surf almost exclusively and will only use the wedge in certain circumstances, but use ballast and a few lead plates for fine tuning 100% of the time. On my boat the wedge will increase wake size, but usually you'll see most impact in steepness at the peak, not as much width as with weight in the boat. In our 06 I didn't find any problem with handling with the power wedge and have had zero problems, but I understand it's different than the older style manual. We know its back there for sure, but it drives fine.

I remember many posts about the wedge and uses, so maybe a search might find more information also.

Can't speak for the manual wedge, but power wedge is something I use to shape the wake after using ballast. I wakeboard & surf almost exclusively and will only use the wedge in certain circumstances, but use ballast and a few lead plates for fine tuning 100% of the time. On my boat the wedge will increase wake size, but usually you'll see most impact in steepness at the peak, not as much width as with weight in the boat. In our 06 I didn't find any problem with handling with the power wedge and have had zero problems, but I understand it's different than the older style manual. We know its back there for sure, but it drives fine.

I remember many posts about the wedge and uses, so maybe a search might find more information also.

Does putting the wedge down make the wake steeper or more rampy?

Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think the wedge makes the boat handle horribly. I guess if you're wanting to power-turn or something it might affect your turning radius at high speeds, but when we've got the wedge deployed, we rarely make quick turns, and when we feel like we have to, it doesn't seem to limit us. It might affect gas mileage, but the only time we don't have the wedge down is if we're driving at high speeds across the lake, so I don't know.

I thought for a time that there was a possibility that the surf wake on my boat would be better without the wedge deployed. I've since ruled that out. It definitely makes it better. As far as wakeboarding goes, sometimes I use the wedge, sometimes I don't. Since these days I'm pretty much the only wakeboarder in the boat, I usually get right to it without taking the time to deploy the wedge. Everyone's always in such a hurry to get surfing!

If you've got $500 to spend, I'd definitely do it. It'll definitely help your resale. When we were shopping, that was one thing I was looking for, and I didn't even know that much about boats in general.

I only added the manual wedge because I go the whole assembly dirt cheap. We mostly wakeboard and prefer ballast only. I took a run the other day with the wedge to verify this and confirmed that for us, the wake is way better with weight alone. It was lippy, but the lip kicked you funny and didn't seem to be as solid as the rest of the wake. We do use the wedge when surfing, though............

I have gone back and forth on the merits of the wedge. My take is it makes the wake way more firm. I cant really tell if the wake looks bigger or steeper, but I do pop harder with the wedge down. IMO it def. firms the wake up.