Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tires

Jazz

I need to get some new treads for the trailer so I have two questions:

1. Do I need "trailer tires" or can I use regular radial tires? I'm getting conflicting info on this.

2. I would like some good looking rims for 15" tires. Any suggestions?

Boat is '96 Sunsetter VLX and trialer is factory single axle.

DEFINITELY get trailer tires. They are designed totally different than car tires, and will handle the load a lot better. Especially on a single axle.

And get good tires, those 2 tires are the only thing between your trailer and the highway. 1 blowout, and your trailer hits the ground.

I need to get some new treads for the trailer so I have two questions:

1. Do I need "trailer tires" or can I use regular radial tires? I'm getting conflicting info on this.

2. I would like some good looking rims for 15" tires. Any suggestions?

Boat is '96 Sunsetter VLX and trialer is factory single axle.

The trailer rated tores will hold a higher load rating ( wieght ).

What about all the newer trailers with 17" - 20" bling wheels & low profile tires. I assume these tires are not trailer rated tires ?

If I can throw my 2 cents in there. I would go with a name brand like goodyear. I and others have had some bad experiences with another, less expensive, brand. Especially on a single axle.

I'm not going to name names

If I can throw my 2 cents in there. I would go with a name brand like goodyear. I and others have had some bad experiences with another, less expensive, brand. Especially on a single axle.

I'm not going to name names

Not sure if it was Carlise you are referring to or not but after 8 years they've served me well. In fact I know more that have had issues w/ the Goodyear Marathons...

It was actually,

I was 0 for 2 with mine, plus about $500 in trailer damage, but thats another story.

My intent is not to bash Carlisle, as I am sure there are a lot of people with good experience, but to suggest not to skimp, especially on single axle applications. Having a tire explode on you going down the highway is not a fun experience.

I lost a carlisle on my last boat outing last year on a single axle. They were about 3 years old. Shopping this spring the tire store recommended the carlisle over the goodyear, so I went back to those. I was prepared to go with goodyears this time. Choice wasn't made on the lower price, but based on the tire store's recommendation. I went up one notch to load grade E. Hopefully these will last a little longer.

I have a 7 x 14 Enclosed Cargo Trailer that gets a lot of highway miles put on it.. It had Carlisle Bias Ply tires on it at first that didn't last 5K miles... Then I went with a generic Radial and they have twice the Miles on it and are still in really decent shape... I am going to stick with the radials from now on on all of my trailers...

My single axle trailer for my 2000 Response came with Carlisle radial tires. All three of my tires developed tread separations. I have read about as many folks having problems with Carlisle as with Goodyear. Buy from a tire dealer that you can get warranty and service from.

• 1 year later...

Never use anything but trailer tires on your trailer. The brand is up to you to decide with your experience with different brand etc. But, you would never put trailer tires on your car, so don't ever put car tires on your trailer. For me, I have always been able to count on my dealer for good advice. The guys over at https://www.kenjones.com have always done right by me.

What about all the newer trailers with 17" - 20" bling wheels & low profile tires. I assume these tires are not trailer rated tires ?

IDK about 17", but 18-24" tires are available in higher load ratings because in many cases they are being used on full size trucks and need to carry those diesels around. Yes, they are technically vehicle tires and not trailer specific, but a D or E load rated tire will handle the weight.

I agree that on 15" wheels, use trailer tires.