Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

clip advice needed

tru-jack

I just installed my marine railway for a 2007 rlxi, and I am going to need a rope from the front of the carriage back to the lifting rings on the transom to help keep the boat from floating / sliding of the carriage when it first pulls it up. Once it's part way up the friction of the bunks on the hull are plenty. So my question is: Anyone have any suggestions as what to use to clip to the lifting ring so it doesn't scratch the hull. I am thinking of a carabiner so it clips off and on easily but since the lifting ring is a few inches towards the center I don't want it scratching the hull. So I'm open to ideas but would like it to quickly connect and disconnect. thanks.

A biner will work fine and since the biner will have tension on it, I doubt it'll mark the boat since it won't be moving around against the hull of the boat. When I tie the transome straps down on my boat I put a small piece of 1/2" foam rubber behind the straps. I've heard of people using sponges to cushion the strap against the hull also. I would not count on the friction of the bunks to keep the boat from sliding off the bunks. I would keep the boat tied down whenever it's out of the water. The only other suggestion I have is that you should use a fabric tether device to go from the biner to the trolley device. You could use something as simple as the nylon webbing from an old tie down or use a pre-sewn runner that has a very high tensile strength. Like this.