Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bilge pump

I just bought used 2003 malibu sunscape and the bilge pump is not working it has a guardian 600 pump and I can not get the cover off any suggestions?

I just bought used 2003 malibu sunscape and the bilge pump is not working it has a guardian 600 pump and I can not get the cover off any suggestions?

Can't get teh cover off? Break it. Then unscrew base from the boat, replace wiht a 600 gph or higher pump (as long as its the same outlet diameter), and splice the wires together.

...I can not get the cover off any suggestions?

Most bilge pumps have two squeeze tabs on the filter basket. Squeeze them at the same time and lift the pump off of the base. Then remove the screws that hold the base down. If you still can't get it off you can carefully break the pump free, the pump is broken anyway. I say "carefully" because the pump is held in place with 2-4 screws anywhere from #8 to #12 in size and just smacking the pump indiscriminately has the potential to do some glass damage inside the bilge. If the tabs won't release I would use a hacksaw to cut the tabs off of the basket, but that's just me.

...I can not get the cover off any suggestions?

Most bilge pumps have two squeeze tabs on the filter basket. Squeeze them at the same time and lift the pump off of the base. Then remove the screws that hold the base down. If you still can't get it off you can carefully break the pump free, the pump is broken anyway. I say "carefully" because the pump is held in place with 2-4 screws anywhere from #8 to #12 in size and just smacking the pump indiscriminately has the potential to do some glass damage inside the bilge. If the tabs won't release I would use a hacksaw to cut the tabs off of the basket, but that's just me.

I have the same problem. Anyone have any pictures? I don't want to do more harm than good. Thanks.

I just replaced mine when it died. There not very expensive.

Chadwick02, just wondering approximately how much not very expensive was. Thanks

The guardian 500 had 2 tabs on the bottom sides of the pump. They are no longer made & were replaced by the Sahara pump. Any pump with a 3/4" opening should work. I got a RuleMate 750 to install & while I had the pump pulled, the float switch started working. I just put it back in vs putting the new one in. I still have the RuleMate in case the Guardian goes out again, but so far, so good. IIRC the 750 pumps were running about $60 at most places. I found one on EBay for $35.