Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Potential Battery Charging issues.....

This spring I switched my battery to an Optima Blue top. I didn't charge it before the first use, but it seemed to start the boat just fine. I've used the boat twice on this new battery without any starting issues. Yesterday I purchased a Di-Hard automatic 12v charger from Sears. I thought I'd put it on the battery and bring it up to a full charge. While I was waxing the boat this morining, I was listening to the stereo...probably for about 2 hours. After I was done, I threw the charger on. I set it to "deep cycle" and "10-amp charge"........the battery is pulling over 10amps. It seems impossible that just by listening to the stereo for 2 hours would almost completly drain the battery....... I'm afraid something is fooling the auto-charger into thinking the battery is more drained than it is, and hence over-charging it. Something doesn't seem right.

(I disconnected my amp and amp ground, which were wired directly to the battery thinking that might be the issue, but it's still pulling over 10amps)

Any thoughts? Dontknow.gif

Edited by spinxt

How long did you let it charge? It should tapper off as battery voltage comes up to the charger's voltage. Do you have a deep cycle battery?

edit; I hope you have a fuse in that amp line connected to the battery!

Edited by electricjohn
How long did you let it charge? It should tapper off as battery voltage comes up to the charger's voltage. Do you have a deep cycle battery?

edit; I hope you have a fuse in that amp line connected to the battery!

As I understand it, the Optima Blue Top is a "hybrid". I just checked the charger a minute ago (after charging for about an hour) and it's just under 75% charged. So it seems like it's working properly, I guess I was just surprised that it was pullng so many amps after such little use. It's not quite a true deep cycle. Oh, and to answer your other question, there is a fuse in the amp power line.

Edited by spinxt

I hated my sears die-hard charger. I bought a smart charger that charges in three stages (imporant with AGM batteries) and shuts itself off when they are charged. I think die-hard has a smart charger but it's over $200.