Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash blanks out.

06 VLX Monsoon engine. Last summer about 8 times my dash would completely blank out after hitting a larger wake. It takes a pretty good jarring hit to happen. The motor will keep running fine not missing a beat but all dash info goes dead just like turning off key. It has always come right back on(takes same amount of time if just turnigh on key)but I lose all presets like clock and cruise control is off if it was on at the time of the hit. My dealer replaced the kill switch last winter thinking maybe it was the culprit, yesterday proved that was not it. Same problem yesterday while out Hydrofoiling. Only happened once.

Any ideas of where to look for problem. All connections seem to be tight. Hopeing someone else may have had same symptom and knows the cure.

Edited by dalt1
06 VLX Monsoon engine. Last summer about 8 times my dash would completely blank out after hitting a larger wake. It takes a pretty good jarring hit to happen. The motor will keep running fine not missing a beat but all dash info goes dead just like turning off key. It has always come right back on(takes same amount of time if just turnigh on key)but I lose all presets like clock and cruise control is off if it was on at the time of the hit. My dealer replaced the kill switch last winter thinking maybe it was the culprit, yesterday proveed that was not it. Same problem yesterday while out Hydrofoiling. Only happened once.

Any ideas of where to look for problem. All connections seem to be tight. Hopeing someone else may have had same syptom and knows the cure.

I would start unplugging and replugging everything under the dash. It will be a main harness if everythign goes out, and check for condensation/corrosion, maybe add some dielectric grease before plugging them back together. THis solved a lot of problems with our 98 MC

Start at the battery and check all connections for tightness and corrosion. The circuit breaker by the batteries is for the dash and assesories. The power to the engine is on a seperate line.

I will check all connections especially the circuit breaker as I think I moved it during my stereo install last year. Got out today and it did it probably 6 times in 4 hours. Any moderate bump blanks it out. I thought I lost clock settings but it stays correct just shuts off cruise if it was activated. Thanks for the tips.

Now for bigger problem, boat left me stranded today had to be towed. See new topic for this one.

I had the identical problem last year. The fuse/circut breaker was defective. It would internally short out after hitting some waves. Pulled the end and plugged it into a spare fuse, and haven't had the problem since.

I had the identical problem last year. The fuse/circut breaker was defective. It would internally short out after hitting some waves. Pulled the end and plugged it into a spare fuse, and haven't had the problem since.

So did you just bypass the factory Breaker and put in a different type? Mine is getting worse as it blipped about 6 or 8 times yesterday.

JDW, thanks for the call last night. I got out this morning and found the problem. Turned out to be the main plug connector behind the dash was loose. It will not click together and lock like it should so I used Nylon wire ties to hold it tight. That took care of the problem.

06 VLX Monsoon engine. Last summer about 8 times my dash would completely blank out after hitting a larger wake. It takes a pretty good jarring hit to happen. The motor will keep running fine not missing a beat but all dash info goes dead just like turning off key. It has always come right back on(takes same amount of time if just turnigh on key)but I lose all presets like clock and cruise control is off if it was on at the time of the hit. My dealer replaced the kill switch last winter thinking maybe it was the culprit, yesterday proveed that was not it. Same problem yesterday while out Hydrofoiling. Only happened once.

Any ideas of where to look for problem. All connections seem to be tight. Hopeing someone else may have had same syptom and knows the cure.

I would start unplugging and replugging everything under the dash. It will be a main harness if everythign goes out, and check for condensation/corrosion, maybe add some dielectric grease before plugging them back together. THis solved a lot of problems with our 98 MC

dhcomp is correct, main harness connector. Thanks for all the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine did the same thing. Had to replace electronic board that controls guages.

06 VLX Monsoon engine. Last summer about 8 times my dash would completely blank out after hitting a larger wake. It takes a pretty good jarring hit to happen. The motor will keep running fine not missing a beat but all dash info goes dead just like turning off key. It has always come right back on(takes same amount of time if just turnigh on key)but I lose all presets like clock and cruise control is off if it was on at the time of the hit. My dealer replaced the kill switch last winter thinking maybe it was the culprit, yesterday proved that was not it. Same problem yesterday while out Hydrofoiling. Only happened once.

Any ideas of where to look for problem. All connections seem to be tight. Hopeing someone else may have had same symptom and knows the cure.