Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulled back muscle skiing.....

spinxt

I was out salom skiing last Sunday. Halfway through my second set, I was mid-turn on my left side when I felt one o my back muscles pop. I took a second, it felt okay, so I finished my set. I stayed off the water all week (mostly due to weather). Each day it felt a little better, but not back to 100%. I went on 3 or 4 jogs throughout the week and it felt okay. I decided to ski again this morning. I took t easy for the most part. I didn't feel any more muscles pop, but I am now in pain enough to keep me out of the water tomorow. This feels like the type of injury that will take time to heal 100% before skiing again. Has anyone had similar types of lower back injurys that can offer any suggestions on how I may accelerate the process?

Cry.gif

I was out salom skiing last Sunday. Halfway through my second set, I was mid-turn on my left side when I felt one o my back muscles pop. I took a second, it felt okay, so I finished my set. I stayed off the water all week (mostly due to weather). Each day it felt a little better, but not back to 100%. I went on 3 or 4 jogs throughout the week and it felt okay. I decided to ski again this morning. I took t easy for the most part. I didn't feel any more muscles pop, but I am now in pain enough to keep me out of the water tomorow. This feels like the type of injury that will take time to heal 100% before skiing again. Has anyone had similar types of lower back injurys that can offer any suggestions on how I may accelerate the process?

Cry.gif

If it is a muscle for sure, and I am not a Doc, I have always been told to use heat and cold treatments. If it is pulled, it will take some time.

I had a lower rib pop getting pulled out on my third run. Ouch! Two weeks now and I can just start doing crunches again.

I am no stranger to lower back injury (as well as middle and upper back injuries). Assuming your injury isn't serious enough to warrant medical attention, for me, to heal, the three best things are time, ice and core exercises on a fit ball (in that order). If you have the means, a good physical therapist or trainer is a plus to help with a core routine.

Here is a link that may be helpful. I am a big Paul Chek fan--others may have different opinions.

http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=35

Edited by jjackkrash

I've had good experiences with chiropractic adjustments. A little heat, a couple of *pops* to put everything back into place, and a couple days of taking it easy.

Just stay away from the guys that a) won't take insurance and B) want to sell you a weekly treatment plan for only $29.95 a week...

When looking for a GOOD chiro, ask people 1) how often do you go? (the answer should be, "when I need to") and 2) how many times do you usually have to go back? (The answer should be, "until I feel better")

Another back injury "expert" here. Been there a few times. With pulled muscles & inflammation swelling on the nerves. It's a drag. What I've found works good for me is similar to the other guys' suggestions above. Heat & ice. Sit in a hot tub for a while, then put an ice pack on it. You will feel tons better the next day. Do that till you can exercise it & do some stretching. Any physical therapist will tell you to always end in ice. The heat will thin the blood & the ice will make your body focus blood flow to the area.

Another suggestion is to look into a TENS unit. It stand for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator & works great to get me back on my feet when I hurt my back bad enough I can barely walk. Google it sometime.

Another back injury survivor here. I have my own TENS unit - they are great. The day of the injury, lots of vitamin I and alcohol to loosen things up. After that crunches as soon as you can stand them. Build the abs up and they will hold the back together.

If you want to loosen up the area and kind of massage out some of the pain, pin a tennis ball against a wall with your back in the area of the pull. Move your body around to roll the ball over and around the affected area. It will be painful at first but feel much better afterwards!

Another back injury survivor here. I have my own TENS unit - they are great. The day of the injury, lots of vitamin I and alcohol to loosen things up. After that crunches as soon as you can stand them. Build the abs up and they will hold the back together.

I've had a TENS unit on my back several times by a chiropractor. I've always wanted to have one of my own, because I am prone to lower back injuries and those things work great on my carpal tunnel also.

Does anyone have one they can recommend as a good unit? I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want a cheap unit either.

I've had a TENS unit on my back several times by a chiropractor. I've always wanted to have one of my own, because I am prone to lower back injuries and those things work great on my carpal tunnel also.

Does anyone have one they can recommend as a good unit? I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want a cheap unit either.

I have one that my Blue Cross bought me a few back injuries ago. I think it was around $300, which is a bit high priced..... I see them for under $100 all the time. I wish I knew the brand name of it but loaned it to my father in-law a couple weeks ago when he hurt his own back. It runs on 4 AA batteries & is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has the ability to drive either 2 or 4 electrodes (I usually only use 2) and has multiple different programs that it will run, ie; stimulus patterns, sort of like Morse code, dot dash dash dot dot. I'm not sure that made sense, but it's done to keep your body from getting to used to it. Mixing up the vibrations will help it work longer.

I've used the cheaper ones too & they worked good for a couple hours. Mixing it up allows me to wear it for a full day & still get the full effect. I wear it on my belt & go to work just like any other day.

Mine says it is an "IF 4000" and the only name I can see is on the wall wart power cube "Nexxtech". In theory it was available only with a prescription but I didn't have one. I can't remember if I bought it on e-bay or from some other online merchant. I was recovering from a torn rotator at the time so I bought some extra sticky electrodes too. I haven't had occasion to use it again but once I start skiing this summer I'm sure the opportunity will arise.

I did the research at the time I bought this unit & I can't remember exactly all that I learned but it seems to me that there were some subtle differences between an interferential unit and a TENS unit. As I recall this one is interferential. Dontknow.gif

Edited by bobofthenorth

My physical therapist said to use heat only when you are intending to stretch or move the muscles that are injured otherwise always use ice to controll swelling and reduce inflamation. I injured a rib a couple weeks ago riding dirt bike and ice helped greatly.