Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad Day!!!

I have a 1998 Response LX with a monsoon that is fuel injected. Boat ran well yesterday but this morning I was unable to get the boat to go any faster than 20 mph and during this time it sounded like it was back firing through the spark arrestor. Wierd thing is, it will rev up to the moon while the boat is in neutral. There is by the way a constant squeeling coming from the fuel pump I believe. I also seem to have a strong smell of gas but with the engine cover up I can't see any fuel leaks. Can someone please help?

Jeremy

I had a similar problem with my 2005 Response LXI with a Monsoon. Replaced the fuel filter and it seems to be doing much better. Check the fuel filter first to see if that helps.

I'll go out and check the fuel filter to see how it looks. I have a new impeller and my temperature staed at 160 degrees.

Jeremy

Yea I hope it's just the fuel filter as well. For some reason I have this fear anytime I'm messing around with flammable liquids. Are there any precautions that need to be taken before I remove the fuel filter that appears to be located just to the left of my fuel pump. I was thinking that I should at least dissconnect the battery. Does anyone know if that type of fuel filter can be purchased at Autozone or Advaced Autoparts?

Well I'm an idiot. I removed the fuel pump so that I could inspect the small screen inside the bottom of the pump and sure enough it was clogged up with some sort of debris. I was unale to identify exactly what it was though. I'm feeling pretty good about things and I'm putting everything back together and as I was tightining the fitting back down on the top of the fuel pump I overtightened it and cracked the top side of the threaded section of the pump. I thought about keeping this information to myself but I figured if I did that then someone else might make the same mistake. The hard lesson I learned was do not overtighten the fittings on the fuel pump. This is unfortunately a very expensive mistake ($321.00). I'm still unsure if the screen being clogged up was causing my pump to make that annoying high pitched sound which in turn was causing my engine to run like crap and backfire or not but it still wasn't helping things either. I guess since I'm having to order a new pump I will go ahead and get two new fuel filters as well. Does anyone have the part #'s for the filters?

Jeremy

Well I'm an idiot. I removed the fuel pump so that I could inspect the small screen inside the bottom of the pump and sure enough it was clogged up with some sort of debris. I was unale to identify exactly what it was though. I'm feeling pretty good about things and I'm putting everything back together and as I was tightining the fitting back down on the top of the fuel pump I overtightened it and cracked the top side of the threaded section of the pump. I thought about keeping this information to myself but I figured if I did that then someone else might make the same mistake. The hard lesson I learned was do not overtighten the fittings on the fuel pump. This is unfortunately a very expensive mistake ($321.00). I'm still unsure if the screen being clogged up was causing my pump to make that annoying high pitched sound which in turn was causing my engine to run like crap and backfire or not but it still wasn't helping things either. I guess since I'm having to order a new pump I will go ahead and get two new fuel filters as well. Does anyone have the part #'s for the filters?

Jeremy

If they were fibers in teh intake screen to the pump, a filter was left unchanged for too long, and started to come apart. Clogged intake screen will DEFINITELY increase the pump noise/whine, i cleaned ours out, and got another 2 months or so of daily use before i had to replace it.

Yea I hope it's just the fuel filter as well. For some reason I have this fear anytime I'm messing around with flammable liquids. Are there any precautions that need to be taken before I remove the fuel filter that appears to be located just to the left of my fuel pump. I was thinking that I should at least dissconnect the battery. Does anyone know if that type of fuel filter can be purchased at Autozone or Advaced Autoparts?

Contact Discount Inboard Marine. You can go to their website. Talk to Vince or Richard. The filters are about 10 bucks each.

Wood

Did you get this problem fixed. I have a fuel pump I am about to replace, but was wondering how yours turned out. I am going through my fuel system tonight. I have already changed all the filters that I know of and the fuel pressure regulator.

1st post, and I own a 99' Supra Launch. Do not hold it against me.

Edited by jrh1010

Well after last nights sea trial, it is official. It was either the carter was clogged or the high pressure pump was going out. The carter was dirty as can be, and I put a new high fuel pressure pump on. After about 2 hours of running strong, the high pressure pump started to whine. I am assuming it has picked up more trash from the gas tank and it needs cleaned again. I believe a couple times of this and the tank should be clear. I could empty the gas and clean the tank, but that is $120 down the drain so I will just continue the labor of love of removing the carter and cleaning it. The boat ran strong like I had hoped at all RPMs. Good luck to anyone else having problems.

Well after last nights sea trial, it is official. It was either the carter was clogged or the high pressure pump was going out. The carter was dirty as can be, and I put a new high fuel pressure pump on. After about 2 hours of running strong, the high pressure pump started to whine. I am assuming it has picked up more trash from the gas tank and it needs cleaned again. I believe a couple times of this and the tank should be clear. I could empty the gas and clean the tank, but that is $120 down the drain so I will just continue the labor of love of removing the carter and cleaning it. The boat ran strong like I had hoped at all RPMs. Good luck to anyone else having problems.

My apologies for not responding sooner. I replaced the filter that sits on top of the fuel tank and also the EFI filter just after the fuel pump. Either or both of these filters were the culprit but since I cracked the boss on top of my fuel pump, I still had to replace the pump which was $321.00. For anyone out there that doesn't change their fuel filters regularly, take it from me, it is well worth your time to do so, especially with all of the nasty gas that is out there. In closing, if youv'e got the correct wrenches, go ahead and change the filters and/or fuel pump yourself. It's not rocket science and is fairly straight forward. You will save tons of money and be rewarded with the pride of doing it yourself.

Jeremy