Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat tilts

phishfan

Hi there,

I bought a 1998 Response that it's excellent condition. The boat appears to be tiled starboard side a tiny bit in the water. It's quite noticable and I'm not sure why. There is nothing in the bow and or the boat.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the boat sit level in the water? I'm very perplexed about this?

Weight of the driver vs. observer? The effect of a weight difference is exaggerated because once the boat tilts slightly the fuel will shift to the side of the tank causing an even greater imbalance.

The boat sits uneven without anyone in the boat. Even with driver/spotter, it's still tilted to the right. I'll check the gas tank and see how it slopes.

The boat sits uneven without anyone in the boat.

Dontknow.gif When you say tilted to "the right" you mean starboard, right? The driver's side? Two batteries both mounted to port could cause it to lean to port but I have no idea why it would list to starboard. Dontknow.gif

I'll try and post a pic later if I can. The boat tilts starboard about 2" to the right into the water compare to the left. very strange

I spoke with the dealer that I bought the boat from and they said all of the boats with center mount engines sit to the right a bit because of the extra weight of the dash, seat, steering cable etc... and that it's totally normal.

Is this normal on other responses?

Depends on how much "tilt" you are talking about. Mine sits in the water basically level. Platform is level on glassy calm water. Looks level to the naked eye everywell else, and I'm a guy that gets the level out for docks, boat lifts, etc. etc...Something doesn't sound right.

If it's really that bad I'm guessing some kind of water intrusion possibly now under the floor.

I spoke with the dealer that I bought the boat from and they said all of the boats with center mount engines sit to the right a bit because of the extra weight of the dash, seat, steering cable etc... and that it's totally normal.

i think maybe your dealer's head is tilted. i have owned 2 responses, and they both sit very level in the water...

I have a DD sunsetter and mine sits absolutely level. Is your floor flat ir does it have slight dips?

I have a DD sunsetter and mine sits absolutely level. Is your floor flat ir does it have slight dips?

The boat's floor looks level. In fact the entire boat looks perfect. I spoke with Malibu and they suggested checking the fins. They might need adjusting... I'll look this weekend since the boat is up north.

Edited by phishfan

A few years ago I lived near a guy who had a mid 90s MC Prostar 190 that had been hit by a jetskier on one side of the boat. The fiberglass damage was repaired, and it looked great, but the boat weighed quite a bit more on that side than the other. He weighted the unrepaired side with lead bricks & called it good.

I'd hope that a dealer didn't sell you boat with extensive repairs on it without disclosing it. And frankly I'm not sure how to be sure of it anyway.

I'm going to take a real close look at the boat for any sign of damage or repair, although I doubt I'll see anything. The dealer who I bought it from is the largest Natique dealer in the US. I don't want to start naming names but they seemed like a very reputable dealer and had no issues when I was dealing with them. I actually called them and the sales manager just left the dealer. He'd been there for many years.

Anyhow, it's not a huge problem just a bitt annoying. I may just have to put some sand bags in the bow to offset it if I don't find anything.

Is there a way to search for boats that have been in accidents like cars?

Is your battery or battery's in stock location? What do you have stowed in the boat? Start from boat empty does is still list? I am like the rest 07 Rlxi sits level.

Is your battery or battery's in stock location? What do you have stowed in the boat? Start from boat empty does is still list? I am like the rest 07 Rlxi sits level.

The battery is located in the middle just behind the passenger seat to the right. Is that the stock location? The only stuff in the boat, is 2 slalom skiis in the bow on the left side.

PDR447...the platform is titled by about 1-1.5" I think. I'm not sure what you mean about the rub rail though.

The battery is located in the middle just behind the passenger seat to the right. Is that the stock location? The only stuff in the boat, is 2 slalom skiis in the bow on the left side.

PDR447...the platform is titled by about 1-1.5" I think. I'm not sure what you mean about the rub rail though.

I mean the whole boat... I know it sounds kinda silly but all you have mentioned is the platform, is the whole boat actually tilted? it seems more probable to me that the swim step was installed crooked rather than the whole boat sitting crooked(assuming there are no hidden repairs as was previously mentioned)

on my response, its in that location (behind the passenger seat), but really on the left (i.e. its almost touching the starboard side of the boat).

Pictures of the stern in and out of the water would help alot. Really.

• 2 weeks later...

As a side note, if anyone has gaps inbetween docks that someone might fall into, do you yourself a favor and cover them up. I learned a really bad lesson 9 days ago. I've walked over this gap for 10 years now without a mishap. The good news is I got to go skiing, the bad news I'll be out for sometime now. Gonna see the orthopaedic surgeon. Nothing broke, but really bad deep bruising, I think to the bone.

day4.jpg

ouch, and my response does NOT lean like that. i think it doesn't even lean like that if there is only one person in the drivers seat and noone else in the boat.

Just after you launch your boat do you hear bubbles from the rear? Just after I launch and dock it, I hear bubble for about 10 seconds and then it stops. I guess it's just the exhaust holes filling up? Normal?