Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a 1999 VLX and need help sooping it up!!

bartosxxx

I just purchased a 1999 Sunsetter VLX and I need to know what i need to buy for Ballast ie. Fat Sacs!! I dont have the wedge! how can i make my wake bigger for wakeboarding? will I be able to wake surf? should i install perfect pass? or just use a GPS? any other options would be great? any other help would also be appreciated!!!!

I just purchased a 1999 Sunsetter VLX and I need to know what i need to buy for Ballast ie. Fat Sacs!! I dont have the wedge! how can i make my wake bigger for wakeboarding? will I be able to wake surf? should i install perfect pass? or just use a GPS? any other options would be great? any other help would also be appreciated!!!!

Perfect pass is a must for wakeboarding or surfing IMO. It's a real PITA if you don't have it. As far as ballast goes 2 750's in the rear lockers and a 750 up front would throw a monster wake and would give you enough flexibility for surfing as well. You'll be able to move the weight around to where you need it. I never use the wedge on my boat accept for surfing.

The Perfect Pass is a great feature, less stress for driver & allows him/her to concentrate on traffic/finding smooth water, etc. instead of minding the speedo. Unless your going to be real agressive, I would consider a pair of 440's for the back for boarding & then buy one 750. When surfing, put the 750 in the corner that you are surfing, one 440 one the seat on that side & one 440 up front. I think a 750 would be a swamper up front. A sac for the floor compartment would be good also.

The Perfect Pass is a great feature, less stress for driver & allows him/her to concentrate on traffic/finding smooth water, etc. instead of minding the speedo. Unless your going to be real agressive, I would consider a pair of 440's for the back for boarding & then buy one 750. When surfing, put the 750 in the corner that you are surfing, one 440 one the seat on that side & one 440 up front. I think a 750 would be a swamper up front. A sac for the floor compartment would be good also.

I disagree about the 440's not enough weight. Maybe for wakeboarding but definetely not for surfing. If you got all 750's you could fill them up as much as needed for wakeboarding, but you'll need all of it for surfing without the wedge.

I disagree about the 440's not enough weight. Maybe for wakeboarding but definetely not for surfing. If you got all 750's you could fill them up as much as needed for wakeboarding, but you'll need all of it for surfing without the wedge.

i have a 2001 wakesetter VLX NO-WEDGE I run 2 440's in the rear, and a 750 in the locker. when you want to surf throw another 400 on the PORT side (left)seat and a 2nd 400 in the Port Locker. Wake is huge.

http://www.ssimpson.com/steve/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=6973

Edited by Stevo

Hey Bartosxxx - I have the same boat, and I love it. Here's a list of things I've done.

I went with 400 lb sacs on each side of the motor, and a 400 in the ski locker. Haven't tried to surf with it, but it's nice for wakeboarding.