Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spedometer issue

Hey everyone, new guy here. Just bought a 2004 Malibu Response, literally last night. Had it out tonight and noticed a problem with the speedo. At low speeds, it basically stays at 0, and at about full throttle it shows around 21-24mph. Nothing in between. Anybody know where I should look and what I should check? I don't even have a manual for the boat, and obviously am very new to the boat.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, new guy here. Just bought a 2004 Malibu Response, literally last night. Had it out tonight and noticed a problem with the speedo. At low speeds, it basically stays at 0, and at about full throttle it shows around 21-24mph. Nothing in between. Anybody know where I should look and what I should check? I don't even have a manual for the boat, and obviously am very new to the boat.

Thanks in advance!

Probably the paddle wheel. Look on the underside of your boat a little lateral to the

midline (mine is on the port-side a couple of feet forward of the stern). It spins around

as the boat moves forward. If the fins are bent so that it binds, you'll probably get

symptoms like you describe. It can get buggered while trailering or on a boat-lift. I

suppose that it can also get dinged up if you run over something that just happens to

hit it.

I checked the paddle wheel and it seems to move fine. I can flick it with my finger and it will spin and keep spinning. I am taking the boat out again this morning, and I will play with it some more.

One other thing, the boat has a "speedo" switch on the dash, but only one spedometer due to the perfect pass. Does this switch do anything? Since the boat is new, to me, I am assuming I am doing something wrong since the dealership mechanic told me everything checked out and worked.

use that speedo button calibrate the speedo indication.

easiest is to set a fixed speed and use a gps for true speed indication.

use the speedo up to increase the speedo indication and the down to decrease it until it matches the gps. if you're a boarder i'd cal at boarding speeds. as a slalom skier i tweak it in at slalom speeds. doesn't make a bunch of difference, their pretty linear.

enjoy the new ride.

I checked the paddle wheel and it seems to move fine. I can flick it with my finger and it will spin and keep spinning. I am taking the boat out again this morning, and I will play with it some more.

One other thing, the boat has a "speedo" switch on the dash, but only one spedometer due to the perfect pass. Does this switch do anything? Since the boat is new, to me, I am assuming I am doing something wrong since the dealership mechanic told me everything checked out and worked.

If there are 2 speedo pickups, the switch switches between teh 2. Try it in the middle position (both), and the other 2 positions. If it works in one position, one speedo source is bad.

I don't know if 04 still had airguide pickups, but if it did, you need to clean them out.

It may also be that someone held the calibration button down long enough to bury it on the low side.

Peter

That could be it but you said nothing in between 0 and 24 which sounds like something is sticky in the gauge versus a smooth but way low reading. No air pickup tubes on '04 that I'm aware of, and only one paddle wheel. Just hold the switch in the Upward direction while you're cruising, maybe at least 3000 rpm's and see if you can get the thing to read over 25 mph? (if you can, then borrow a GPS and tune it up)

If the adjustment button doesn't work....

The perfect pass shares the same paddlewheel and the perfectpass display reads MPH as well. (I think even if the Perfect Pass is not turned on, but I could be wrong on that). Anyway, if the MPH on the PP display is also funk, maybe something wrong with the sensor in the paddle wheel. If it reads correctly, the paddle wheele would be fine and somethign wrong with your gauge or wiring in between.

Edited by Green_Giant